DIY Underwater gopro-rig with handles and divelight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subsoniq

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everybody. Just wanted to share my homemade gopro rig for use underwater.
total cost so far is about 60$ (not counting my expensive 3d printer)

IMG_8513.jpgIMG_8896.jpg

I built a square frame from 2x2cm aluminium profiles from my local Bauhaus store.
Length of the profiles was 20cm each x4 pieces. + 4 angled plastic mounts from the same store.

I 3d printed a homemade gopro mount with holes for 5mm bolts.
20120718-143817.jpg20120718-143846.jpg

I also 3d printed my homemade flashlight mount with 5mm holes for mounting.
2012-08-04 11.52.12.jpg

The divelight im using is from dealextreme and costs about 27$. Cree 100 lumens. url is on my blog.
brilliant little light but it has a bit to hard spot so im diffusing it with two layers of diffusion-paper glued onto the light.
20120718-143903.jpg20120718-143924.jpg20120718-143933.jpg

im using the gopro hero 2 with lcd screen attached, and the SRP blurfix lens as the gopro dive housing was not availiable when i bought mine.
IMG_8411.jpgIMG_8471.jpg

20120718-144024.jpg
Left is diffused light, right is the original light against a white wall to show the effect.

Im also using a keychain from some random place (think it was ps3 keychain) to secure the rig to myself while diving. Its nice to be able to drop the equiptment without loosing it! :wink:

Conclusion so far is, YES it works like a charm.
Still have some more testing and experimenting to do, but its brilliant in getting stable shots under water!

You can read more and see some pictures of the process here Underwater-gopro-rigg « Vegard Paulsen's hi-tech nonsense blog

and here New pictures of the Gopro-underwater-rig « Vegard Paulsen's hi-tech nonsense blog

Back
Top Bottom