DIY - Underwater Housing Lens Cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jurichar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all...not sure if anyone here would be intersted in this, but hey...if it helps someone out then why not!

I had a dilema that needed solving. I have an underwater housing for my canon g9 that i never seem to have a good spot to store in my bag for fear of scratching the lens. I'm leaving for a backpacking trip where i'll be carrying it around for about 4 months in a backpack too...this could end badly for my poor lens. So i needed a some sort of cover...preferrably strong and waterresistant. I looked for a commercially available product forever but came up with nothing so i resorted to plan B...time for a trip to home depot!

Here is what i came up with. I'm really happy with it. I definatly reccomend this as not i can throw my camera and housing in my gear bag with my bcd and wetsuit with no worry of trashing the lens. If you try to do this i suggest you do light coats with a few hours of dry time between them. I had an incident that made a huge mess from trying to apply too much. also... i would say you dont need to go as "deep" as i did. I wanted it to stick well and not fall off after production so i went really far up, but trimmed it down after the fact.

One last thing. tape everything!!! i would only use one layer of tape though, that is what i think ensured my "tight" fit!

Please critique!

g9 case

cameracover003.jpg

Tape...version 1.0

cameracover004.jpg

Tape...version 2.0. i should have taped further up the lens tube all well

cameracover006.jpg

here's the stuff i used. its called "plasti-dip"

displayImage.php

Had to find something that was about the same size as my lens so i could "dip it" dont tell my girlfriend :wink:

cameracover015.jpg

After a few rounds of dipping

cameracover017.jpg

After some trimming

cameracover019.jpg

cameracover020.jpg

Finished and trial fit

cameracover021.jpg

looks good....a bit messy, but it looks good. Not to sound like a know-it-all, but keep in mind that if there's any metal underneath that cover while it's underwater, it can corrode, leaving you with a problem

im confused where would the metal be coming from? i dont believe the camera case has any metal parts and the cover is made of plastic? what would corrode?

I have the Canon A620 with the Canon housing. It always surprised me that there was not a lens cover. I've always been nervous leaving the housing in a camera bucket that some other camera will bang into the lens and scratch it. Good solution you found.

im confused where would the metal be coming from? i dont believe the camera case has any metal parts and the cover is made of plastic? what would corrode?

Ok, that's good to hear. Sorry to confuse you. I just didn't know if the lens rim was metal or not.

Nice job Jurichar! Brilliant idea! Lost a lens cap for an old lens and was looking for something like this.

Back
Top Bottom