Diy uw video case video,easy!cheap!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneysavr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Had a request to show how to build my cheap sewer cam case Mini DV and here it is.
OLD BUT GOOD RE VISIT TO MY SEWER CAM A REAL DIY VIDEO FOR THE AVERAGE JOE! DIY BUILDER!
ITS BASIC! ITS ENTRY LEVEL! IT WORKS!BUILD IN LESS THAN A DAY! NO LATHES<NO SPECIAL ORDERS! no special tools,no engineering skills needed! that's why its for the average JOE!
This is a video on how to build it! YOU TUBE!
YouTube - Sewer Cam DIY VIDEO

My case,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My case= less than< $50.00 total to build!
EBAY 1 Mini DV camera w/ Remote control=they are on the way out so buy extra tapes!
sch 40 PVC
2 -4' couplings " one cut short lens end"
1 cap 4"
1 4"sewer cap test plug
2-5" hose clamps
2 -handles
2- o rings 4" diam
1 tube household contact glue clear flexible sealant,
*not silicone this seams to peel after several dives
2lbs lead shot to make neutral
1 can fiberglass liquid

1/4"-3/8" THICK lexon/plexi glass lens store cut window -glass,hardware store $5.00

*I now use the remote to start and stop cam=remote in zip lock bag on boat to start / stop video,
*controls or holes in case seem to be the failure points,that's why you pay $500 to several thousand for a pro case! for a good case with all the controls,I just don't need them!

Set 4" o ring in cut short end of coupling,light amount of sealer / Glue lens in
pour lead mix with glass mix in safety cap end with some glue /sealer to keep it in place.
I grease the weight cap end with oring so I can pry it on off

put parts on / clean and glue.
use hose clamp tops or mark a line of site of what you are shooting video of!

and your done,
have had it too 135'FSW no problemo!:D

Guys, easy with thin walled tubes!
I was using a normal 110mm PVC tube for my light:
www mht bme hu / ~kubi/lampa/
(sorry for the link)
It was good for ~20 dives. After that it collapsed on 50m. I felt that somebody kicked my arm from the wrist to the shoulder. My ear was beepeing for a day...

The funniest with nitrogen is that my first question was "Ok, it broke, but why not give me light?!"

Guys, easy with thin walled tubes!
I was using a normal 110mm PVC tube for my light:
www mht bme hu / ~kubi/lampa/
(sorry for the link)
It was good for ~20 dives. After that it collapsed on 50m. I felt that somebody kicked my arm from the wrist to the shoulder. My ear was beepeing for a day...

The funniest with nitrogen is that my first question was "Ok, it broke, but why not give me light?!"

Uh, sch40 is not thin walled tube, it's water pipe. I just measured a piece I have, and it's 1/4" (6.3mm) thick. It's rated to contain 220psi, equivalent to 134 meters SW. Crush strength is not rated, but should be more than that.

From the photos, I'm guessing the tube you used is about 2mm thick, and not even rated for pressure? I'm no expert, but I think 3 times the thickness gives more than 3 times the crush strength, maybe even 9 times.

I'm glad you didn't get hurt. Hope your hearing is back!

Nice light, by the way. I hope you rebuild it (with heavier pipe). Let us know if you do.

D

In my original design I used the pressure test plug, but i did not trust it. During a dry run it leaked and at one point it popped out. I also saw a post where a camera was flooded using this design. So i decided to modify it a little bit. I used a double O-ring design with latches. I Tested it for 1 hour at 130 ft with no leaks in my pressure chamber.

CameraHousing004.jpg

camerahousing002.jpg

camerahousing003.jpg

CameraHousing005.jpg

CameraHousing006.jpg

CameraHousing007.jpg

camerahousing001.jpg

I wish i was handy at building stuff it would save me lots of money

Made mine like moneysavr it does work had it down to 50ft yesterday.

Charlie,
great job! my gal pals I made in you tube video I set up on a dive boat out of Pompano Beach Fl a few weeks back, Had 4 DM's and skipper look on and then we dove the S.S. Copenhagen a real shallow dive 15'fsw average but at that depth no real color loss and they could not believe the video quality!
The case / lens will hold easy to 135' fsw if built right, not drilling any holes or clamps reduces failure points as its a point and shoot case with only line of sight but man My Gal pals first UW video for her AOW course is not too bad, she just has to learn to slow down not move fast=GO SLOWER even if your thinking slow and add the right music with no singing just music, and watch out for the copy right police if videos public,,
dive safe man
I got some DIY lights to show how to build next,
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom