DIY Website

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some of you folks have very impressive webpages. Any of you Web wizs have any suggestions for software to design a modest scuba and biz webpage on a budget? (I'm too lazy to learn HTML). Lessons learned along the rocky road of webdom? I am loathed to put my destiny in the hands of my 16 year old...

You can use either front page, or if you have microsoft office, you can save word files/layouts as html files. The host is use is about $5 USD a month. Personally, I use EvrSoft's FirstPage. It's a free download, but you need to know smidge of HTML. The program has 4 different modes from newbie to expert. Beats the tar out of using notepad or vi.

-Frank

While we are on the subject... Does anyone know of an HTML editor that will run without requiring a windows instal so I can do a little editting at work? As ever, preferably free.

Stone once bubbled...
I learned HTML first, but I use Microsoft Frontpage. My host costs $4.95 a month.

...actually, it was your webpage that got me thinking Stone. You've done a splendid job. I have MS Frontpage and Macmillan's Plus Pack for Frontpage. Welcome any other thoughts on where to go from here. Pros/Cons of Frontpage? Had started with a free webpage site but found page tools there limiting and got too busy last year, soooo starting again. Decided on a memorable webpage name, any guesses???????

tinman.ca

frontpage is good, but dreamweaver is awesome!
the only downside is the cost for the full retail version.

tinman once bubbled...
Welcome any other thoughts on where to go from here. Pros/Cons of Frontpage?

I don't have a lot of lessons learned. I would suggest that you read the Frontpage manual and make note of the features available that you would use. I moved a few buttons that I use a lot to the button bar (like insert a picture - make it a thumbnail - and resample). For the most part, I have kept my website very simple.

I'm sure Frontpage has some problems. I updated my site a few days ago and my "hit counter" reset from over 5000 to 0. That's never happened before.

Have fun, and let us know when you're up and running.

Stone once bubbled...

I'm sure Frontpage has some problems. I updated my site a few days ago and my "hit counter" reset from over 5000 to 0. That's never happened before.

Yeah, I've seen that happen. I think it's a bug and you might have to use another editor to fix it. I use MS Frontpage 2002 and Swish for flash. I think Dreamweaver is outlandishly expensive for the amount I'd use it for and Swish did everything I wanted.
you guys mentioned some reasonably priced hosts...can you be more specific? I'm concerned about Storage and transfer amount.

Here's a useful Frontpage link:

http://www.microsoft.com/frontpage/downloads/addin/default.asp

Just as an aside guys, lets not forget that Ladydiver and Kingneptune offer hosting services, and that business provides us with THIS valuable resource :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom