DM or TEC certification route?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

overseas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
trust i' m not the only in here to come up with this q, but since i couldn't spot
the right thread with a quick look, i thought i'd might post this anyway:

dm or tec certification? would really be much interested to know what you
guys think should come 1st.

btw, i' m rescue+ean+night+deep+drysuit certified & diving a singletank
dir configuration right now...

thanks in adv

I think it all depends on what you want to DO.

I think all DMs should have technical level skills. Before you do a DM class, I'd at least do a class like Fundies (and diving a Hog rig already, that isn't too difficult for you) to get an idea of where the skills bar is.

If what you are looking for is polishing your own diving skills, a DM class won't do that (unless you count learning how to do skills slowly and in an exaggerated fashion, while on your knees). If you are interested in helping with students, or with guiding, a tech class won't get you there. But I think you owe it to students to be an exemplary role model, in buoyancy, trim, non-silting propulsion, and situational awareness, and a DM class won't give you those things, unless it's an unusual course.

thanks, i'm pretty much looking at starting a tec40 course in a fortnight & having 2nd thoughts if i'm actually doing the right thing or not...

No point in a DM cert unless you want to be a DM.

DM teaches you how to teach. Tech gives more dive skills. Which are you interested in?

DM teaches you how to teach. Tech gives more dive skills. Which are you interested in?
Not really..at least not in the PADI system..DM teaches you to supervise and assist,not teach..should have demonstration quality skills..if not using a dm rating by supervising dives,such as crewing on a boat or assisting a class or eventually getting a instructor rating,why bother?

I was looking at the same options. I like to teach and will be an instructor some day. I like to learn and will be a tec diver some day. Talked to the person I plan on having as my tec instructor and he told me to get a cert which makes me money then go for the tec cert.

As a DM I got my DSD Leader cert as well. I can now do DSD in the pool if there are only 4 students or if there are too many for the instructors to handle. I get free air, half price nitrox, free use of the pool, discount on gear, etc.

I think smourneau is spot on with the make a little money (DM) or spend a lot of it (Tec).

With Tec you have the training, more gear, nitrox a lot more, trimix a lot more (really bad with the way Helium is going lately).

Now if you don't want to teach/supervise/etc. then being a DM might not be the right path for you. If you enjoy diving and can afford to pay for tec then you may want to go for tec.

thanks yours; of course cost of tec courses is an issue, especially for someone looking all the way up (down actually) to trimixes,
however, since we are already in the winter season here in the east-med, i believe this is actually the right period to begin
with tec & by, say, april-may i might go for the dm to be able to do some supervising in the summertime for added experience...
we 'll see...

Back
Top Bottom