DM test prior to internship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tna9001

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, All.

Is it possible to complete the PADI DM tests prior to enrolling in a DM internship? I've got six weeks left before I can leave for Roatan and I would like to have the tests done at a LDS beforehand.

Thanks!

Sure you can..Have all 10 presentations been done? Did you do your map/emergency assistance plan? Do you have the 60 dives to participate in the internship? Best is to ask the instructor that is conducting the course if you are ready to do an internship.

Sure you can..Have all 10 presentations been done? Did you do your map/emergency assistance plan? Do you have the 60 dives to participate in the internship? Best is to ask the instructor that is conducting the course if you are ready to do an internship.

Hello, Oly.

I think my question was poorly worded. What I would like to do is have the 8 written test done before starting the DM course. I'm looking to maximize my learning potential; I would rather do as much bookwork now and have more time for practical learning once on site.

Thanks

Hello, Oly.

I think my question was poorly worded. What I would like to do is have the 8 written test done before starting the DM course. I'm looking to maximize my learning potential; I would rather do as much bookwork now and have more time for practical learning once on site.

Thanks

I don't know how you would be able to pass the test without the presentations ,not impossible ,but unlikely for most people.
Given the fact that lets say you can pass the tests,I would still would think that you may be doing yourself a disservice.The presentations are not only to transfer information to you but are to be used as a role model on how presentations are to be done.The best way to do that is to take the DM course from an experienced instructor who has taught the DM course repeatedly,even an IDCS instructor/course director would be better equiped to accomplish that goal.You can get all presentations/tests done locally then go to a intership locations if that is what you are asking.

I don't know how you would be able to pass the test without the presentations ,not impossible ,but unlikely for most people.
Given the fact that lets say you can pass the tests,I would still would think that you may be doing yourself a disservice.The presentations are not only to transfer information to you but are to be used as a role model on how presentations are to be done.The best way to do that is to take the DM course from an experienced instructor who has taught the DM course repeatedly,even an IDCS instructor/course director would be better equiped to accomplish that goal.You can get all presentations/tests done locally then go to a intership locations if that is what you are asking.

OK, best to wait. Thanks for your help.

Hi.

Yes, you can do all your test first, if that is what you want to do. As long as you can get the shop to agree. You can also ask the dive shop to give you two test per day so that you can study the sections on a piece by piece bases. You need to complete the divemaster manual and your workbook, and read the full encyclopedia, you also need to read a few chapters of your rescue divers manual. There is an excellent study guide online on this forum, which i used to great success. You don't need the presentation or anything else, all the exams are based on the information that is in your books. These test are not easy, and you really need to study hard. Not all the test are multi choice, and there are 8 test, with most having 20 questions, so if you get more then 5 wrong you fail the test. Each test passed is finished, each section failed you have a chance to take exam B after your instructor goes over your wrong answers. i hope this is of help to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom