DM4 Software / Vyper Air - Cannot Connect to Laptop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian42

Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping Suunto would give me some support on this but after going through all the registration nonsense and trying to submit a contact request absolutely nothing happens on their site, no confirmation message, nothing.

Just downloaded and installed DM4 software. I plugged in the USB cable to the Vyper Air and it says "driver not installed", I searched windows update - no driver. The Q&A on the Vyper Air (Suunto Vyper Air Black | Suunto) claims that all the correct drivers are included in the software (obviously not). It also suggests removing the drivers (no instructions given on how to do that) and installing some "movelink" software that seems to clearly indicate that Vyper Air is NOT one of the devices it's supposed to support (Movescount.com - Powered by Suunto). My laptop is a totally basic and standard Dell Laptop running Windows 7 64-bit professional. There is nothing weird installed on it and I install the windows updates on a regular basis.

Another separate issue I'm having is I can NEVER successfully calibrate the compass - not once, despite 20 tries. It fails every time right after the instruction "Tilt 90 degrees".

Anybody got any ideas on either of these two things or alternate contact methods for Suunto - they have phone numbers I saw but that's not an option as I'm in the middle of nowhere on vacation and don't have long distance calling.

Thanks.

I had the same problem the first time I tried to install DM4. The problem was that there were other programs open on my computer and it appears that one of them conflicted with the install. I uninstalled DM4 and then saved the DM4 install file - closed out all running programs and reinstalled it --and it installed just fine.

Unfortunately my computer does not see the Vyper and it appears that the one of the contacts to the Vyper is not as long as the other and so both seemly do not make contact. I will be researching this further tomorrow.

I had the same problem the first time I tried to install DM4. The problem was that there were other programs open on my computer and it appears that one of them conflicted with the install. I uninstalled DM4 and then saved the DM4 install file - closed out all running programs and reinstalled it --and it installed just fine.

Unfortunately my computer does not see the Vyper and it appears that the one of the contacts to the Vyper is not as long as the other and so both seemly do not make contact. I will be researching this further tomorrow.

My problem is not that the software didn't install it's that the driver for the Vyper itself didn't install and my computer doesn't recognize that it's attached and neither does DM4....

---------- Post Merged at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Finally a response from support. Sounds like a pretty retarded installation process to me. Not at all clear why moveslink which has no indication that it has anything to do with Vyper Air or supports Vyper has to be installed first, then uninstalled to get DM4 to work but following that process does make it work.

"Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences that this may have caused. Please follow the steps below in order to properly install the DM4 and the USB Drivers for your Dive Computer: 1. Please uninstall the DM4 from your computer 2. Please install the Moveslink version from the link below: http://dcjitw11p57ya.cloudfront.net/downloads/Moveslink_setup_1_0_39.msi This driver will install the USB Drivers needed for your dive computer to be recognized, so after you installed it, please uninstall the Moveslink application from the Control Panel 3. After that, please reinstall the DM4 from www.movescount.com 4. Please chose the device you have from the list of devices once you open DM4 5. Connect your device to the computer Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to get back to us."

I have now installed the software on both a Windows 7 64-bit machine and a Window XP machine. It installed OK on both, but would not recognize the Vyper on my 64 bit machine. It recognizes it just fine on my XP machine. It thus appears to me that they (Suunto) needs to rewrite their software to work with a 64-bit computer. Maybe if enough people complain they will do it. In the meantime it appears we are out of luck.

Note: I have a friend with a 64-bit Window 8 computer. I may try to install it there and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom