DM's--how much experience did you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am curious. For you DM's, or higher--how much experience did you have diving before you decided to become a DM? How did you decide when you had an appropriate amount of skills and knowledge to persue 'going pro'? If you knew you evenutally wanted to become a DM fairly early on, what did you do to prepare yourself before you eventually signed up for a DM course?

Started my DM program with around 400 dives. Started my instructor program with around 800 dives.

I went into it not really knowing what I'd need for additional skills ... but I had spent a lot of time organizing dives for a dive club, and mentoring newer divers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think I had between 100-150, and had been working as an Assistant Instructor in the Florida Keys.

Prep for DM was reading some Dive Encyclopedia book and doing a lot of laps in the swimming pool.

360. The only reason I went for DM is that the classes from AOW through AI were free from my instructor. I worked as a DM for about a year and stopped when I wasn't having fun anymore. I missed diving too much. :)
Nearly 1,000 dives later, I still feel I made the right choice. I'm enjoying my dives more now than any time in the past.

caroln:
I am curious. For you DM's, or higher--how much experience did you have diving before you decided to become a DM? How did you decide when you had an appropriate amount of skills and knowledge to persue 'going pro'? If you knew you evenutally wanted to become a DM fairly early on, what did you do to prepare yourself before you eventually signed up for a DM course?

I first certified in 1978 because I couldn't buy air without a card anymore. I stayed a OW diver until 2000, when I did the AOW because dive operators were allowing "only" advanced divers on deeper dives like the Duane in Key Largo. After that I did Nitrox, then Rescue. After Rescue class, my Instructor started encouraging me to think about becoming a DM. I did the DM course without any expectations, but I soon found it to be challenging (demonstration quality skills) and rewarding. I discovered that I really enjoyed working with ow students. I was a active DM for two years before going through the NAUI Instructor Trainer Course. That's my genesis from OW to Instructor. I probably had 1500 dives when I decided to become a DM. I never thought I had the skills to become a DM, let alone an Instructor, but my Instructor Trainer kept telling me that I had the skills, I just didn't know it yet. :wink: Work on your bouyancy and trim, diving knowledge and dive, dive dive! Nothing beats experience. :palmtree: Bob

caroln:

I started DM w/ 200+ dives-- about 98% in the ocean... Beach entries and boat dives. Other dives were in lakes, which gave me the freshwater/silt/different weighting perspective.... I believe the more diving experience you have the better DM you will be- I do NOT agree with the people who straight from OW to DM within a couple of months..
There were other DM candidates in my class who fell short of the 60 dive minimum--- so they'd go sit in 20 ft of water for 20 min, and get 3-4 "dives" from that tank which is RIDICULOUS.. How does that give you any experience???

Preparation was a lot of pool work doing basic skills until they were mastered and lots of swimming for those timed swim tests...
Get acquainted with the Encyl. of Rec Diving and all of the other materials before the class starts~ don't wait and try to cram it all in during the class.

I had about 200 dives prior to DM. I did it because I really loved the sport and was always diving with new divers anyway. I think what is important is feeling very comfortable with your own skills before you can begin think about be responsible for others. The specific DM knowlege will be taught to you, the experience is what gets you ready to learn.

Officially started at around 90 dives, at the end of my first dive season -- I quickly figured out that I really liked diving, DM gave me a chance to keep working skills and help other people.

About 350...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom