Do a visual after you get a visual.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I nominate this as the Thread, er, String Of The Day.

I nominate this as the Thread, er, String Of The Day.

DOH! I missed the "string", due to lack of reading comprehension. That is a complete failure on multiple levels. I would ask how many FREE fills they are going to give me.

I also would want to see inside for myself, although I would be inclined to do so in front of the dive shop. If they said no, then 100% refund and walk away to slam them on the internet.

I second, always check the tanks with a pressure checker before leaving the shop. The odds of either getting a short fill or someone totally spacing out like this are good and my diving is limited.

Another thing my current LDS does is submerge the tank 100% in water while filling. If there is a leak on the o-ring, it will show up then. I am not trying to start another wet vs dry fills are better thread, only pointing out that by submerging while filling you have another check on the seal.

Meh, Mistakes happen. It's happened a couple of times at my LDS, I've gone to pick up a fill and found the bottle empty. It's probably some other customer who knocked my valve when they were picking up another bottle :wink:

Nitrox divers always measure the O2 content and pressure of a fill, every time, before leaving the shop. No reason we shouldn't do this for air fills too.

My grandad used to keep a log book of how much gas he put in his car, how far he drove, when he added oil. I started channelling him when I got Nitrox certified- I started keeping a fill log. The log points out that one of my tanks consistently loses pressure if I don't dive it for a month after a fill. It's not much, maybe 50#, but I can tell by comparing my fill log to my dive log. Remind me to have that valve looked at.

Wouldn't you like to know why something happened? At this point can the shop be trusted? Guess since I fall into the DIY persona, I like to see things for myself. *shrugs*

Well if the person in question is certified to do the visuals or has the training and has all the tools then yes but if not then apart from seeing obvious things like water in the tank what will he be looking at?:) little benifit while destroying the evidence of the shops mesh up

So I called the shop that did the inspection and they said " bring it in I definatly want to take a look at it". So I took it in, I showed it to the owner of the shop (well actually the father of the owner basicly the store manager ) He looked over at the guy who does the tank fills and said " take the string out of this tank and put a new oring in it" IMO the way that he said it was like I was wasting his time. No apology, No offers to give a couple fills for my troubles, No stick of gum, no nothig. I guess I should be happy with the new oring... or not.

It's a good thing there are a few other dive shops around town.
This will be the second shop around town that I have lost faith in. There is to much at risk to go back to a careless shop. I no we are all human and make mistakes but that does not make me feel any safer.

You as a customer have to learn to ask for what you want. If you wanted say 5 free fills you should have stated it as such, and of course told the story of driving for 4 hours and only being able to do one dive due to the second tank being empty. Your whining would be directly related to how much swag or free fills you walk out the door with.

Did you get to see into the tank? Did they vis it again? Most shops would have insisted on a vis if you brought the tank in empty.

If you think the shop is crappy and don't plan to go back, then post up who they are. If you can't burn a bridge, keep it quit.

So I called the shop that did the inspection and they said " bring it in I definatly want to take a look at it". So I took it in, I showed it to the owner of the shop (well actually the father of the owner basicly the store manager ) He looked over at the guy who does the tank fills and said " take the string out of this tank and put a new oring in it" IMO the way that he said it was like I was wasting his time. No apology, No offers to give a couple fills for my troubles, No stick of gum, no nothig. I guess I should be happy with the new oring... or not.

It's a good thing there are a few other dive shops around town.
This will be the second shop around town that I have lost faith in. There is to much at risk to go back to a careless shop. I no we are all human and make mistakes but that does not make me feel any safer.

I would suggest you let the next shop know (diplomatically) why you are there. I hope you let the former shop know that you had driven that distance to discover the issue. Lesson learned, check your pressures BEFORE you depart.

Sent from my DROID X2

You as a customer have to learn to ask for what you want. If you wanted say 5 free fills you should have stated it as such, and of course told the story of driving for 4 hours and only being able to do one dive due to the second tank being empty. Your whining would be directly related to how much swag or free fills you walk out the door with.

Did you get to see into the tank? Did they vis it again? Most shops would have insisted on a vis if you brought the tank in empty.

If you think the shop is crappy and don't plan to go back, then post up who they are. If you can't burn a bridge, keep it quit.

I really wasn't looking for free fills or even a stick of gum, I just thought it would be good customer service to at least seem concerned with the mistake and try to make it up some how. Heck, I went to jack in the box a few weeks ago and they gave me a burger instead of the chicken sandwich I ordered. I just let them know of the mistake and they made up the chicken sandwich and gave me a free cheesecake for the trouble. I didn't ask for a free cheesecake and I expect to get a free cheesecake or anything else, but at least the cheesecake made me feel like they cared about wasting my time. To me it was good customer service.

As far as getting to see into the tank when I took it back, No I didn't look in the tank. I was a little frustrated after the responce I got so I just let them change the oring and do the fill.

I have a few tanks, so the tank in question is still sitting with the same air in it. I'm not about to use it as is. I will bleed it and take a look. I have never had a valve off of a tank so If there is anything I need to know please feel free to let me know.

Amazing carelessness. Inexcusable IMHO. Find another shop, but also check your tanks before you leave any shop even just after a fill. I usually fill mine myself at my favorite shop and fortunately my next favorite is within an easy walk of my dive spot!

---------- Post Merged at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:28 AM ----------

I second, always check the tanks with a pressure checker before leaving the shop. The odds of either getting a short fill or someone totally spacing out like this are good and my diving is limited.

Another thing my current LDS does is submerge the tank 100% in water while filling. If there is a leak on the o-ring, it will show up then. I am not trying to start another wet vs dry fills are better thread, only pointing out that by submerging while filling you have another check on the seal.

They submerge the tank 100% including the valve? I would not be happy with this set up as there is too much of a chance that water will enter the tank (bnot during the fill process but due to a wet whip).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom