Do any shops sell tanks on Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Tim,

Have you checked out Maui Dreams in Kihei? I seem to remember seeing a pile of new tanks sitting there when I was on the island in May.

Of course, there's always MDS, but they could just be props for their display, I don't know. :)

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give them a call (or stop in - I'm hoping to go diving in Kihei tomorrow)

I figure someones got to sell tanks - just a matter of finding out who, hopefully without calling all 57 (or 239 or whatever it is) shops on the island.
Tim

Well, you could probably drop that down to 15-20 if you excluded all the dinky Maui Dive Shop outlets... :)

Hey Tim,

Try checking with my buddy "Woody" from "Underwater Discoveries". He's kind of getting out of the diving biz and should have a few 80's for sale. 808-667-2290

Tell him Shaka Doug sent you!

Good luck and see you around the reefs!

KrisB:
Well, you could probably drop that down to 15-20 if you excluded all the dinky Maui Dive Shop outlets... :)
LOL - that's too funny . . . true but funny

Shaka Doug:
Hey Tim,

Try checking with my buddy "Woody" from "Underwater Discoveries". He's kind of getting out of the diving biz and should have a few 80's for sale. 808-667-2290

Tell him Shaka Doug sent you!

Good luck and see you around the reefs!
Mahalo Doug - I'll check with him tomorrow between dives (got 3 planned 1in lahaina & 2 in Kihei) maybe we'll run into each other

Tim

Shaka Doug -

Thanks for the lead - Woody's a great guy, got to meet him and his wife this evening and ended up picking up the tanks from him for a decent price, just need VIP and Hydro's (they are 1999 tanks, so this will be the first hydro on them) - he's still got BC's, weights, regs and wetsuits if anyone else is interested. Sorry but I got the last of his aluminum 80's, still a 72 & 63 though ;-)

Now to swap out the valves and clean them for nitrox - is that better to do before or after hydro? I am assuming the hydro will not introduce any contaminants into the system . . . or is that wishful thinking?

Aloha & Mahalo,
Tim

Hey Tim,

Happy to help out! I'm glad you hooked up with the Woodster. He's one of my best diving buddies. We've been friends for almost twenty years now, dating back to our Caribbean days in St. Thomas.

I would clean and prep the valves first, then have the guy doing the "Hydros" install them when they finish up the job. How many tanks did you pick up? What are you doing with the old valves? I wouldn't worry about the tanks getting contaminated from the hydro facility but be sure you get them filled right away.

Aloha!

Thanks for the advice Doug,

I ended up getting 4 Luxfer al80's - 2 in hydro, 2 out. all 4 need vis. I only had 2 new valves, so I'm thinking about picking up a left and right modular din valve to put on the other two tanks. - Still haven't decided what to do with the old valves - ebay or keep until I sell the tanks so I don't have to buy more DIN valves in the future (know of someone that needs some?). The old ones are: 2 Thermo, 1 AquaLung and 1 Sportsways.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom