Do Dogs Get Bored With Their Food?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mts0628

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey All:

I have a puppy and up until Thursday he had eaten nothing but kibble. Well, kibble for meals, I train him with small treats from Starmark and Kong (puppy biscuits). Other than that, he has never had human food and he is 13 weeks old so far. I told someone who watched my dog that I didn't care if this dog started solving unsolvable Calculus equations, NO HUMAN FOOD. Speaking English? I don't care. Quoting Voltaire? So what- no human food ever!

My pooch got his third set of shots on Wednesday, and the shot was for Distemper (I do not know if it had the Parvo or the Leptospirosis components in the shot as the Veterinarian only mentioned Distemper). He also got a nasal suspension that aided in the prevention of Kennel Cough. He came home, and he was eh, a bit less than his normal lively self and he felt a little warm. No biggie I thought as he had been through a little with training before the Vet, the Vet, and then we went to Petsmart for a treat because he was good. He had no hives or vomiting at this time but after consulting the Vet, I gave him some liquid Benadryl as a precaution.

Well, Thursday he woke up and was his normal self: wide open. We watched some television, and then we went out to train. I use a clicker, treats in a treat bag, a lead, and I always bring water out because it's pretty hot here no matter the time of day. I expect instant obedience to orders now and especially during training but the only things that trumps a command is pottie, pooping, or going for the water bowl. I will not stop the pup from doing these but normally he waits until we're done anyways.

Now we're training, and he's responding, but he won't take a treat. Sometimes I use kibble and I think he catches on sometimes and then training's over but this day we were only using real treats because I wanted to start something different. The only problem was he wasn't taking the treats after obeying the command. This was my first real concern. While I could drop a steak in front of the little guy and he not attack it, if I give him a treat he woofs it down quick-like. We stopped training after that and tossed the toy around but he wasn't too lively about getting it like he normally is. Then we just went inside.

About an hour later, the pup is breathing hard, he feels warm, and he then vomits. I clean him up, try to give him some water but he doesn't want any. Normally he is my little shadow but now he doesn't even want to move and normally he can't sit still for 2 seconds and hated to be held but now he's all too comfy on my lap. Well, then he vomits again. And again. And again. After ten episodes, we head to the Veterinarian and he is treated for Distemper Vaccine Reaction. The Vet gives some medicine and a sheet for a bland doggie diet which has an egg, cottage cheese, and rice as the components of the recipe. It's not bad- I had to test it for my pup's sake you see.

I give him a measured scoop and he eats like he's never eaten before. I was like, "easy [Fido], it's ok buddy." My dog's name is not Fido, I just use a generic name to protect his identity :crafty:. Anyway, I wait a bit to see if he if he's ok, as in no vomiting, and then give him a bit more. He doesn't seem too interested in the water but he sips and eats the small ice chips (as given per DVM instructions). Yesterday was the same thing but he drinks a bit more water and he still eats this new diet as if someone is going to take it away from him if he doesn't finish it now! I know he's getting better because he hops around and wants to play, but I will still keep him on this diet until today and then maybe tonight incorporate a bit of kibble.

So as I watch this little maniac chow down, I started to wonder, do dogs get tired of the same thing every day for meals? Or are they just thankful to be getting food and water? Is it a good idea to switch up the types of dog food (dog preference and tummy dependent) or is it good to just keep the kibble-only coming? What are your thoughts?

[Sparky] and I thank you for any responses you provide.

With kind regards,
Thomas

It varies with the dog. Some will eat anything and others are pickier, especially after experiencing the "good stuff." I've seen dogs whose owners were convinced they would eat nothing but bacon. Well that's because they've figured out that if they hold out long enough their owner will be convinced they're going to starve and will cave. I've never seen an otherwise healthy dog intentionally starve itself to death. Some can hold out for a couple days. Big caveat with the otherwise healthy part, though - be sure there are no other signs of illness. If a dog will readily eat one thing and not another is would seem more likely to be a personal preference thing. Try mixing in the kibble in very gradually increasing proportions. With some dogs you have to do this over a week or more. I wouldn't get in the habit of changing foods every time they seem to lose interest. You could spend the rest of the dog's life perpetually searching for something new. Try adding a little warm water to the kibble or just a spoonful of canned food.

Hope this helps. What kind of dog is Sparky/Fido and hold old is he?

Cheers,
Lilla

I fed my dog Iams and he never complained. I think eating some low-end brands must be like having a bologna sandwich every day verses a nice meal with the higher end foods. He never had stinky dog breath, had a beautiful shiny coat and solid stools which made poop patrol much more pleasant than scooping up dog pies.

It's true you generally get what you pay for with dog foods. Yes the el cheapo foods my technically contain the appropriate nutrients but how digestable is it? There is no legal requirement for food manufacturers to demonstrate this. A good chemist could probably show the same nutrient value with a pile of chicken feathers and used motor oil. Cheapers foods have more fillers also and can result in a much larger volume of stools, so they may not be as cost effective as it would seem.

I've fed mine the same premium food, with a very occasional meat scrap, for over 9 years. He's been within a pound of the same weight (76 lbs) his entire adult life. Dogs, unlike many of us, are content when their hunger is sated. Glad to hear your pup is doing better.

I highly doubt my dog even pays attention to what's in his bowl, so I can't imagine him getting "bored" with any kind of food.

Hey All:

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. As of about three days ago, he was back on ol-Purina One Puppy Chow. I must say, I think he really liked the bland diet because towards the end of it, I was mixing more kibble with it and he would try to eat around it. The little clown! And for a few hours after his first bowl of kibble only, he wouldn't eat, he'd just look at his kibble filled bowl, then the refrigerator (where his bland diet was) and then me, like, "Hey, where's the good stuff at?!" Too bad but it was only a matter of time before I heard the little crunching I now love to hear from my little buddy!

Thank you again for all of your responses, and good luck to your canine friends and you.

With kindest regards,
Thomas

OK, this is clearly a hijack, so apologies to anyone bothered by that, but this thread is an excuse to pass this on to a wider audience, and I can't help myself:

Can People Distinguish Pate' from Dog Food?
http://www.wine-economics.org/workingpapers/AAWE_WP36.pdf

Short amusing read ... and you know you're curious.

In my experience with dogs, I've found that they will get as spoiled or bored with their food as you allow. I used to have a German shepherd that wouldn't eat any dry nugget that wasn't coated with wet food or gravy. I allowed him to get away with this until he passed away from old age.

My current dogs were trained as pups to do the opposite. My black lab inhales his food in less than two minutes (usually without even chewing), and my mutt will eat any dog food I give her (from high-end to generic brands). As picky or bored with their food as a dog might get, they aren't stupid enough to starve themsleves to death. Eventually, they will have to eat what's in their bowl.

I'm sure they do. I know cats are that way and would expect any given animal could become that way. However, I don't think it matters when they get hungry enough they will eat it regardless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom