Do I need a Kayak to shore dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baggysalls

Reaction score
I dont have a kayak yet but dont want to wait until i get one to spear. I want to try swimming out with a gun and dive flag. Next friday May 28th is when im off next so I will be spearing somewhere in ft lauderdale depending on what advice i get from you fellas. Please just give me a street or area to park in that swimming out wouldnt be a battle.

Do you need a Dune Buggy to go into in the desert? Nope, but it sure helps...

Not only will you be able to get farther offshore, you will have a home base for a cooler, drinks, snacks etc. which will make your day last longer and more pleasant.

Additionally you will have a safe place to store your catch away from other interested predators.

Send me a PM and I'll give you some spots to check out in FLL / MIA.

hey if you like you can go with us! We have a cayak! BUT .....
I rather not using it, its to much of a pain! Setting it up takes time, and work!

Blowing it up: air tank, bcd inflator, incl. rigging 20 minutes (hot sun)
setting up dive gear another 20 minutes (more hot sun)
jumping in my wet suit another 10 minutes (still getting hoter)
carrying all that **** to shore 10 minutes minimum (divebuddys stuff incl.)

only one dive!

Its only good if you have lots of time, don't mind getting cooked, and want to reach the second reef!

i definitely want to go but can only go Thursdays usually. I get my buoy and dive flag tomorrow some time so it would have to be next thursday. Where by? ft lauderdale?

Hibiscus ave

Cool. let me know if you guys are down for thursday. I will be out there with my cousin.

dont know much about florida...

but i shoredive usually. I have a 7 foot surfboard that i converted into a dive float. Removed the fins (glides over kelp), use my loop stringer that hooks right onto the leash loop, epoxied a holder for my speargun (so i can paddle and kick, very fast) and use the leash to hold onto kelp so the board cant drift away. I have taken this rig about a half mile offshore in the kelp and it worked awesome considering i traded an old roomate some shelf speakers for the board.

Ive also gone without and just had my stringer on my weight belt. Diving in high surf, like at Steamers Lane is difficult to get out with gear and board, so sometimes its good to just swim out more or less. If your in decent shape, swimming out might be a satisfactory option for you, or go super thrifty and buy a boogie board at a drug store. Just make sure it doesnt float away.

Hope my blabber was helpful.
Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom