• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Do I need to Pack...

Discussion in 'Bay Islands' started by NorthernMelody, Nov 21, 2006.

1. NorthernMelody

NorthernMelody Assistant Instructor

# of Dives:
    Ok some mundain questions...32 more sleeps!!!

Can I get:

Pantene ProV (purple bottle) shampoo and conditioner
    Nestle Quick Hot chocolate Powered
    Tetley Tea (orange peokoe variety)

It'll be good to know to cut down on stuff I "have" to bring...
    And will the stuff be super expensive?

2. Doc

Doc Was RoatanMan

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    Meaning... what?

Can you "get" those things in The Bay Islands?

Yeah, right next to the Gateway Computer store, down the mall from Starbucks.

:wink: Even if this-or-that oddball or luxury item is at one time or the other available, it won't ever be on the shelf again.

If you need it, take it with you. If you want it, reconsider and maybe pack lighter.

3. Warmwater Wank

Warmwater Wank Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Well I saw a bottle of Pantene on Roatan once--but I think it washed up from a cruise ship. What RoatanMan is implying is--it's an ISLAND. If you are brand specific, better bring it. If you are adventuresome, take your chances discovering what else life offers besides corporate brand names. Depending on where you are staying you might want to "stock up" in Coxen Hole (which is very near the airport), as it is the biggest town around. Ask your taxi driver. If you are staying on the West End check out Woody's, a great liitle all-in-one store. Plumbing supplies, canned food, malaria pills and tetracycline, veggies, mops...but I don't think they have hot chocolate. The diving is so good you won't miss it though!

4. MSilvia

MSilvia Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    They have a lot of shacks with corrugated aluminium walls, but I don't remember seeing any Pantene when I was there. Aside from a conch shell, dinner, and some drinks, the only product I purchased Roatan was hot sauce, and that came in a plastic bag with a knot tied in it.

Last time I flew, you weren't allowed to bring liquids (including shampoo) with you. They may have relaxed that, but you might want to prepare yourself for roughing it.

5. Bay Island Diver

Bay Island Diver IDC Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Nice one Roatanman
    although Mangiamo in West Bay maight actually have these things - you are better off bringing them with you.

6. NorthernMelody

NorthernMelody Assistant Instructor

# of Dives:
    well I'm staying on Utila, and for 6 months...no, the shampoo isn't really important...the TEA on the other hand...lol
    I know I'll need less than I'll bring, but it can't hurt to have a few luxuries eh? :wink: