Do I really need an AF-35 Optical TTL Strobe??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice, I am an amateur photographer and have just purchased a Canon G16 after my Sony gave up the ghost after years of abuse in the oceans of the world! I have a Light & Motion Sola1200 that I have achieved some pretty good results with in the past using the old Sony (also some not so good lol) but I would like to know, if while I am upgrading my kit, is it worth while buying the AF35 I am looking at on the budget I have? I was doing some research as I know very little about strobes having never used one before and came across the below paragraph on Wiki which has now just confused me!!

"With digital, this way of direct reflection metering is not possible any more since a CMOS or CCD chip, used to collect the light, is not reflective enough. There are a few older digital cameras which still use the analog technique, but these are getting rare.

Any help or advice would be great. Many thanks in advance.
Chris

IMO, a video light cannot substitute for a strobe (unless shooting macro shots - Shooting Macro Photos with a Video Light).
Strobes are significantly stronger than a 1200 lumen light and are much more effective for lighting up still shots.
Strobes today use optical TTL to imitate the internal flash and create a well exposed photo using only optical sensors, either with cable or without.
I prefer the cabled option since you can control your lighting better without the internal flash interfering.

These blog post might clarify some issues:
What is TTL - For Underwater Strobes
Why are underwater strobes so damn important?
Best Strobe for Underwater - The Ultimate Strobe Guide

Thanks for the info Ran. Most of the photography I concentrate on is macro, I spend most of my dive looking for the interesting small stuff, mainly nudibranch. I'll check out the links you have provided before buying my strobe.

Chris

---------- Post added June 30th, 2015 at 10:57 PM ----------

IMO, a video light cannot substitute for a strobe (unless shooting macro shots - Shooting Macro Photos with a Video Light).
Strobes are significantly stronger than a 1200 lumen light and are much more effective for lighting up still shots.
Strobes today use optical TTL to imitate the internal flash and create a well exposed photo using only optical sensors, either with cable or without.
I prefer the cabled option since you can control your lighting better without the internal flash interfering.

These blog post might clarify some issues:
What is TTL - For Underwater Strobes
Why are underwater strobes so damn important?
Best Strobe for Underwater - The Ultimate Strobe Guide

After reading all the info you supplied I have decided to go with the Ikelite housing with built in TTL circuitry for my G16 with a DS-51 Strobe and flex arm kit. A little more than I was planning on spending but I think it will be worth it in the long run. Thanks again for your help and insight Ran, very much appreciated :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom