Do I really need Oxygen compatible grease to assemble the loop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I hate oxygen compatable grease with a passion. I have tried several and we just don't get along.

I do not see the loop assbly; lungs to t-pieces, t pieces to connectors, DSV, ect. To fall into the o2 compatible required catagory.

Yes, they see 100% O2 but not at high pressure and no velocities that would even come close to causing a concern. Technically, using o2 compatible lube seems like overkill.

Anyone using non O2 compatible lube for loop assembly?

No need for O2 compatible lube on any external components like the loop, head, or canister. I use silicone lube like Molycote 111 for all of the big orings on my ccr.

But i do use O2 tribolube on most other fine fittings. Regulators, swivels, quick disconnectors, spg, etc.

Yeah Molycote 111 also helps with sealing, it's thick not gloopy
Pull a longer negative, I just like looking at shrink wrapped lungs, and squished hoses
Some are against silicone, you can't help those that don't know what they don't know

no need for O2 lube or O2 cleaning on the low pressure side of a regulator and definitely no need for it on the loop. Be careful with some of the o-rings though as the Dow 111 is super sticky and hairs, grit, etc. want to stick to it but it also can make head removal a bit more work than normal

Yeah Molycote 111 also helps with sealing, it's thick not gloopy
Pull a longer negative, I just like looking at shrink wrapped lungs, and squished hoses
Some are against silicone, you can't help those that don't know what they don't know
Why do you specifically mention to pull a long negative? I currently do it for 3-5 min and use the loop hoses as a vacuum gauge.

No lube seems like a very poor decision, can't imagine the logic behind it.
no need for O2 lube or O2 cleaning on the low pressure side of a regulator and definitely no need for it on the loop. Be careful with some of the o-rings though as the Dow 111 is super sticky and hairs, grit, etc. want to stick to it but it also can make head removal a bit more work than normal
I am going to use tribogel H1 food grade lube. It too is a touch sticky but lubes well, cleans up pretty easily and doesn't get gummy.

Thanks for the replies.

I currently do it for 3-5 min and use the loop hoses as a vacuum gauge.
Mostly bc I’m curious if this is taught elsewhere: Can you think of a non-loop hose manner to also validate this negative? Non sound based

O2 lube for the O2 regulator and any MAV/ O2 injection related o-rings. I've tried O2 lube and normal silicone lube for the loop hoses and for the scrubber cover o-rings (rEvo) and haven't noticed a major difference. I just make sure to wipe the o-rings clean and re-lube before each day of use.

O2 lube for the O2 regulator and any MAV/ O2 injection related o-rings. I've tried O2 lube and normal silicone lube for the loop hoses and for the scrubber cover o-rings (rEvo) and haven't noticed a major difference. I just make sure to wipe the o-rings clean and re-lube before each day of use.
why bother with o2 lube on the other o-rings?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom