Do not buy the Seashell waterproof housing for iPhone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lefrogster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought the Seashell waterproof housing for the iPhone 4S and immediately regretted it:

SeaShell Camera Case -

Here are the drawbacks:

- the phone has to be on and unlocked so it eats up battery power pretty quickly. Using the Seashell app helps because it auto-dims after a few minutes. I could use it for about 2-3 dives max.
- because it has to be on, it will heat the air in the housing and cause condensation, fogging up the lens. This is a serious problem that ruined many dives. As soon as I jumped in the water, it would fog and I'd be carrying a useless brick for the rest of the dive. A silica gel pack inserted in the housing doesn't help because, when closed, the lens portion is isolated from the rest of the housing by a rubber seal.
- its certified to 40m (I've tested it to 30m without leakage) but the buttons on the tactile screen cease to function at 20m! Lost many good snaps because of this.
- the colours are generally washed out and you can't put a filter on the lens to improve picture quality.

Given the price of this housing, its a much better investment to get another camera system, like Go Pro. The iphone isn't designed to shoot pictures underwater anyway.

I bought the Seashell waterproof housing for the iPhone 4S and immediately regretted it....

The iphone isn't designed to shoot pictures underwater anyway.

picard-facepalm.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom