Do regulators have a lifespan/ become dangerous of failure after so many years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regulators can last decades — and I have some from the 1970s which still see use, and which haven’t missed a beat in all of those years; and I service them myself.

The bigger concern, over time, is more the availability of spare parts and service kits, which varies between manufacturers like little else . . .
good to know!

From what i understand, Huish, the company that owns the Oceanic brand now, is no longer supporting the legacy regs, so those regs have a very finite lifespan.
Possibly true on Oceanic regs. I'm not certain. Definitely not the case with all Huish brands.

Thanks Still Kicking. Im leaning toward a reg kit with a little more metal/brass w/ my next one. I've learned over the years that if you look,talk & listen to these ole salty dog dive master on the boats here in NC they can help you out. Safe diving my friend.
I would also add that you look at brands that don't have a bunch of unique service kits for various models. That's a good indicator of longevity.

My active regs are all from another Huish company (Zeagle). One was definitely purchased before Huish acquired Zeagle. The other two were purchased after. No problems getting service kits for that older reg, even though it's been discontinued for some time now. The reason is that all three regs, despite being different models, all use the exact same service kit. So, as long as the brand is still around, I don't think I'll have any trouble getting service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom