Do sea urchins have an eye or eyes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a pic of a sea urchin that I swear looks like it has an eye ball. I can't seem to get a pic posted right now but thought I would ask the question.

underachiever:
I have a pic of a sea uschin that I swear looks like it has an eye ball. I can't seem to get a pic posted right now but thought I would ask the question.
Like their relatives the sea stars, urchins have an internal skeleton made up of chalky plates called ossicles. Instead of these ossicles being scattered around the body, they are organized into a solid circular case called a "test". The test of a dry sea urchin shows several interesting features: It is divided into ten equal sections. Five of these contain tiny holes used to extend the tube feet through the test. These sections are called ambulacral areas. The other five sections are called interambulacral areas and do not have tube foot holes. (These sections alternate around the test.) Both areas contain small, raised bumps called tubercles which were the attachment points for the spines. On the top of the test (the aboral side) is a small hole called a periproct, which releases wastes as well as eggs from the body. There is also a set of five eye spots surrounding this top opening which cannot see images but are sensitive to light and shadows. A larger hole, called the peristome, is on the bottom (oral side) and is used to extend the mouth.

You probably have to post it somewhere else and link to it. A lot of the SB functionality - including the photo gallery - is down lately since the "upgrade". SB is moving again to new servers soon to fix the problems.

they could be "eyes" but their "eyes" don't really see like ours. i belive they
only detect light, so they can tell if it's dark or light

i'm not sure if you could call them "eyes"

An eye generally refers to a light sensitive structure that can focus an image to some degree. An eye spot is a light sensitive structure than can detect levels of, and changes in the level of light but not focus an image.

Are you talking about something like this? I couldn't get into your photos without a password.

_MG_2805copy.jpg

drbill:
An eye generally refers to a light sensitive structure that can focus an image to some degree. An eye spot is a light sensitive structure than can detect levels of, and changes in the level of light but not focus an image.

ah, ok... so i guess they'd be killed eye spots

My wife and I were snorkeling in Jamaica and came across a Sea urchin that looks like it has an eye ball also. My wife came across it and when she just about got carried into it with the tide, she snapped the following photo. Have never seen anything like it. Does look like an eye though.. Any thoughts?

set-72157622826609872

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom