Do we want to go muck diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good thread. We are planning to go to Indonesia again this summer around the Manado area. We would like to at least try out 1 day at Lembeh to see what muck diving is all about. The rest of the time will probably be spent at Bunaken. . . .

I suspect that most people who do a Bunaken-Lembeh combo end up wishing they had spent more time in Lembeh and less time in Bunaken.

Muck diving typically takes place on a sandy or mucky bottom instead of a coral reef. There may be "hidey holes" such as trees, rocks, old cars, etc. Lots of stuff lives on this bottom, stuff you'll never find on coral because either it doesn't live there, or it has too many places to hide. You'll never find a blue ring octopus on a reef, but you'll often see one on sand or muck bottom.

Good thread. We are planning to go to Indonesia again this summer around the Manado area. We would like to at least try out 1 day at Lembeh to see what muck diving is all about. The rest of the time will probably be spent at Bunaken.

Bob, what do you mean by "You don't go to either of these places for anything other than diving ... take your extracurricular entertainment with you ..."?
We have some Indonesian friends who are showing us around and have nothing but good things to say about this area, not only for diving.

What I mean is it's not like Cozumel or some other areas where you have towns with night clubs and other activities to do after diving. Yes, there are jungle walks and zip lines (in Lembeh ... not in Raja Ampat). Those are things you usually do on the final day, when you can't dive. There's not much on the island except resorts. On the mainland side there's a port town and some villages, but I can't say there's much there for the western tourist to see or do ... it's where the locals live. Manado is two hours drive away.

I was at Bunaken in 2008. It was fine diving, but the sight of all the floating garbage got depressing at times ... there's no landfill, and when it rains all the trash gets washed into the water. And when I was there, the reefs were infested with crown of thorns. I can't say what's happened in the six years since ... hopefully they found a way to control that infestation, because the reefs and walls were truly beautiful and worth saving. If I had to choose between Bunaken or Lembeh, I'd definitely choose Lembeh. But that's me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I were going to that part of the world I would do both. (and have done both a couple of times) First a few days at Lembeh (4 or 5), then a liveaboard in Raja Ampat, or the other way around.

However, some people just don't find muck diving interesting. Scouring the sand for elusive and strange critters that you may or may not see is not for everyone. Have spent entire dives not finding much of anything. The dive where my avatar came from (the seahorse) was one such dive. We went quite deep to find the seahorse at the beginning of the dive and then spent the rest of the dive looking for a blue ring which was supposed to be in that spot as well - nothing. On the other hand you can go from find to find for the entire dive spotting stranger and stranger creatures at each stop. Not for everyone as it is not particularly "pretty". Whereas Raja can be spectacular - walls of colour and fish everywhere.

I love muck, but if you don't take pics it probabaly isn't for you. I do know a number of people w/o cameras who enjoy the occasional muck dive. That being said, Lembeh is pretty much all muck. If your heart does not start racing when you find a new-to-you nudibranch, then your time and money are better spent elsewhere- Komodo or R.A.

I love muck, but if you don't take pics it probably isn't for you. . . .

Emphasis on "probably." As I mentioned in a post above, my wife and I, who are not photographers, thought Lembeh was the most fascinating diving we've done yet. We love macro marine life. If you love seeing small, fascinating creatures, then give muck diving a try.

By the way, for those of you who get the Alert Diver magazine, there's a great article on Lembeh in the most recent edition ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

U should try all kinds of diving at up to whatever level u are certified to. Then u koe where your diving adventure will be...

Many a people just dive around till they find things that they are interested in... Then they pursue that route.. Be it photography, caving, tech.. Or multiple of passion...

U have seen what u are heading in.. In terms of critters and stuff .. Still find it interesting..?? Then go for it...

Lembeh... U should always have a list... A wish list of what u want to see... I am sure if u search the forum u will have a decent list up... Having a list helps the guide plan the dives for u...

Maybe I am close to Lembeh ... But I alway try to plan a trip there every year....

Back
Top Bottom