Do you actually see people diving with pony bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Untitled.jpeg

How exactly do you manage gas when you have none? What type of together **** will make up for this?
The point is to plan ahead so you have enough gas for the planned dive and monitor your gas supply throughout the dive so that you are aware of a problem long before you get to point of having nothing left to breath.
:)

The point is to plan ahead so you have enough gas for the planned dive and monitor your gas supply throughout the dive so that you are aware of a problem long before you get to point of having nothing left to breath.
:)
What about catastrophic fist stage failure as happened in a vid posted on here not long ago? The diver in that vid survived thanks to his pony. Its is personal choice of course but you can only manage gas if you have it.

Sorry if that sounds argumentative as it was not meant to. I genuinely don't understand how gas management can substitute for redundancy. Surely both would be optimum?

...//... I genuinely don't understand how gas management can substitute for redundancy. ...
First, I'm known as DIR friendly, but not a practitioner.

From my understanding of GUE's teaching, it does exactly that. Their mindset is that your buddy is carrying YOUR emergency gas and you are carrying his/hers. That emergency gas load is sized according to both the needy diver's SAC(RMV) and the dive at hand. Thus, both of you are obliged to remain in proximity throughout the dive.

They strive to be a highly disciplined lot. So maybe think of it as your DIR buddy IS your pony, among other things.

I just can't get into "joined at the hip" diving. Just not me. I'm much more NQR. (not quite right, but trying...)

First, I'm known as DIR friendly, but not a practitioner.

From my understanding of GUE's teaching, it does exactly that. Their mindset is that your buddy is carrying YOUR emergency gas and you are carrying his/hers. That emergency gas load is sized according to both the needy diver's SAC(RMV) and the dive at hand. Thus, both of you are obliged to remain in proximity throughout the dive.

They strive to be a highly disciplined lot. So maybe think of it as your DIR buddy IS your pony, among other things.

I just can't get into "joined at the hip" diving. Just not me. I'm much more NQR. (not quite right, but trying...)
I see. I know nothing about gue or dir being a heathen. I just like to be able to sort my own problems out and I am well down with the NQR. Where do I cert?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom