Do you carry a snorkel on every dive?

Do you carry a snorkel on every dive?

• Yes; I attach it to my mask.

Votes: 36 19.4%
  • Yes; I carry it in my buoyancy device.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Yes; it's stored elsewhere.

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • No.

Votes: 127 68.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a great forum! After years of diving snorkeless I found myself diving a wreck in Queensland (and found out its actually law to dive with one here) There was a big surface chop and we had to wait at desent line for other divers.With no snorkel I had to either suck on reg and use valuable air or struggle not to inhale waves! This experence plus a couple off opportunities To snorkel with unexpected guests. bettween dives has made me change my mind.Go snorkellers!

In over 30 years I never once made the mistake of descending with my snorkel in my mouth instead of my regulator. If I'm on the surface waiting, breathing through my snorkel, I have my regulator in my hand. It's second nature to put the regulator from my hand into my mouth before descending.

Please send me a SASE and I will send you a cookie. I'm so impressed. :dork2:

I do a lot of shores dives and the snorkel is essential. Never used one on a boat dive though. I think it tends to get in the way.

I have made thousands of shore dives at dozens of locations; only a few require a snorkel. Often while searching for the mooring ball (submerged in Hawaii) or a good place to drop anchor, I use a snorkel for boat diving, and nearly as often I am not in my dive gear yet. :)

Everyone should have a snorkel. It is another essential backup air supply. No if, and or but.

If you do not want to hang it on your mask. No problem - go and buy yourself a soft foldable and store it in your bc.

I am no fan of any brand. I simply report product that works in real life situations. Get yourself an Omer Zoom Pro. The omer is the one of the few foldable snorkel that can truly handle real snorkel duties (It is not one of those stupid wannabe foldable snorkel - won't mention names).

haven't dove with a snorkel since my OW checkout dive.

In over 30 years I never once made the mistake of descending with my snorkel in my mouth instead of my regulator. If I'm on the surface waiting, breathing through my snorkel, I have my regulator in my hand. It's second nature to put the regulator from my hand into my mouth before descending.

In over 30 years I wish I could say I never started my descent with the snorkel still in my mouth. :shakehead: Having two teens and a gf who were under my wing I found the snorkel very helpful for final checks, but several times when everyone began their descent I discovered at my first breath that I was still in snorkel mode. :shocked2: got real good at instant location, and reg clearing, no problem, beyond a bit of wounded ego :D :wink:

I trained with the snorkel, and have almost always had one attached to my mask, and have been quite glad many times that I did have it. I like to switch from front to back if I have a long swim, and on my front the snorkel is a definite asset.

There are situations, like wreck diving that I remove it because it could cause problems greater than any possible benefits.

Last edited:
Foldable in my pocket. I use it in chop waiting for my turn to climb aboard boat. It is just easier for me to lay face down in the water while I wait. I don't like it on my face mask. Sucker just irritates me.

Yea i'm old school too.Last year I forgot to bring it at a local site had a long swim, and sure missed it.:no:

Back
Top Bottom