Do you carry a snorkel on every dive?

Do you carry a snorkel on every dive?

• Yes; I attach it to my mask.

Votes: 36 19.4%
  • Yes; I carry it in my buoyancy device.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Yes; it's stored elsewhere.

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • No.

Votes: 127 68.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no need for a snorkel in cold water. I could see having one in the gear bag for warm water but still not attached to the mask...just available in case I wanted to snorkel instead of dive.

I can't imagine a long surface swim using a snorkel.

Last edited:
I keep a rollup snorkel in a pocket. I've never used it. I have a real snorkel for when I want to go snorkeling.

I too carry a rollup. I switch to it when I am removing my gear in the water and hooking it up to the side of the boat. I dive from my own boat and have to take the bc and fins off

I do shore dives about 90% of the time in the warm waters of SE Florida.
We just about always snorkle or back swim out the first 200-400 yards, sometimes more.
If it is choppy, we use the snorkles, if it is calm, we do the swim on back thing and generally have fun conversations.
I will not dive without a snorkle, even on a drift dive from a boat.
I think they are indespensible on Keys anchor dives, if only to loan to a newbie that got too low on air.
I even wore one at Ginnie Springs.......
Chug
Likes Snorkles.

Last edited:
I've used a snorkel on most of my dives i guess out of habit. i tend to switch straight to snorkel once in the water, and use it to surface swim. (I do so love my tank air) I've gone without it a few dives. when using a DPV (scooter) it's better without it. not having it causing drag. My mask strap has started to tear in the spot where the snorkel sits, so I'll probably take it off more now.

I breathe on my back whlile on the wreck line, then switch to my regulator. I also value my bottom gas.

Good diving, Craig

The only dives that I have ever made without a snorkel are caverns, saturation and surface-supplied. I've never felt like it was in the way, it's never gotten tangled in anything, and I sometimes swim on my back on the surface, but I still like to have it on my mask strap.

When I was first certified, in the early 70"s, my instructor taught me to carry my snorkel under my knife straps on my leg. Now, I seldom carry one unless I am teaching a recreational scuba course. When I carry one it is a folding snorkel tucked neatly in my thigh pocket.

I almost never carry one with me while diving. I swim on my back at the surface, or I breathe from my reg.

I feel the snorkel on the mask strap is a mess : it's an entanglement hazard, it's not comfortable, it prevents from being streamlined, out of the water it makes the storage of the mask more complicated and finally it increases the risk of wearing/breaking the mask strap. I hate carrying a snorkel on the mask strap.

It would be nice to carry it in my BCD but I almost always feel it takes too much space, so I tell myself "it will be OK one more time without it" and I usually leave it in my bag.

If I feel really scared that I could go adrift for a long time, then I carry the snorkel with me (in a pocket or tied somewhere but never on the mask strap) or, more likely, I don't go for this dive. But sure, one never knows ...

Once I saw a diver trying to climb the ladder back to the boat with his snorkel in his mouth, sea was choppy and he fell back and almost drowned - he was rescued by someone - sometimes it's much better to trust your reg more than your snorkel. (edit: this is anecdotal - nothing wrong with the snorkel itself. end edit)

Same story than Vladimir happened to me with a pod of dwarves orcas.

Once I went (without scuba but with wetsuit, mask and fins) from the shore to assist a snorkeler who was having some trouble, but my snorkel wasn't in my box so I did without but that was not much fun - now if I am diving from the shore I make sure the snorkel is at least in my box/bag.

Sooner or later I will probably miss my snorkel again - I hope it won't be a real issue then.

Thanks DCBC to rise this subject and give us matter to think about.

Last edited:
I started diving and carrying my snorkel religiously, but now I am using it less and less. It is much nicer to swim on your back and have a chat with your dive buddy when shore diving, and I don't feel it's much necessary when boat diving, either. But I still bring it along, JIC.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom