Do you dive without......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldscuba0002-1.JPG

At the time it seemed like a lot of gear. Especially when you did the ditch and don drill, where all your gear (except for the wet suit) was dumped into the deep end of the pool, and you had to dive in and don it all without surfacing till you were done.

Having only been certified two years ago, it never occurred to me that one could dive without a BC. I'm thinking I might try it now, I hate putting all the gear together and being worn out by the time you hit the water.

All you really need to scuba dive for 30 second is a gas source;a tank and one reg. Everything else, mask, fins, etc, are extras, that you add for comfort and convenience.

gypsyjim, I took the liberty of editing your post (above), based upon my diving conditions. Come by for a dive in 36F water! Either you will need a drysuit (which can be used as a form of BCD) or you will need a thick wetsuit and will properly weight yourself for your operating depth if you really want to avoid a BCD, or you will jump out of the water so fast that your tanks will not have been necessary.

oldscuba0002-1.JPG

At the time it seemed like a lot of gear. Especially when you did the ditch and don drill, where all your gear (except for the wet suit) was dumped into the deep end of the pool, and you had to dive in and don it all without surfacing till you were done.

Here I go again.

When I did my cert in 73, people actually failed. I have watched a number of pool sessions, ...

edit:
never mind... I am beginning to sound like my Dad.

Sorry Gypsy.
I got hurt on my bike Monday. Swallowing anti-inflammatories and such while changing the ape hangers on my Softail at the moment.
Don't mean to derail your post. Nice pics!

Old school is cool. Looking at photos of old timers and how streamlined they are.

I was sooo streamlined my dad could only keep up freediving :)

How small a bottle is that? Is it on a backpack?

I jury rigged a 13 on a ABS DR plate that would not work on my old scubapro backpack.

Well after diving hard for the last nine years and learning alot along the way, I have a question for everyone. I have meet 3 divers that i have dived with over the years that have been diving since double hoses. All of these people dive simple systems in Florida.......for example, plastic backplate with No B.C., 2" or 2.5" SPG and just a first and second stage, no safe second, no octo. I have asked them about this and most of them responded, we never needed a B.C. nor a second regulator. Hell they only got the SPG because they were tired of second guessing the J valve.

I was once diving in the islands (BVI) and one of the islanders who was friendly with my Dad found out. He wanted to come and we had an extra tank, he said let me go get my gear all excited. Came back with a plastic backplate with rotting straps and a 1st and second stage, no spg even. I was like umm how are ya going to know how much air you have, to which he responded "Don't worry mon, no problem" lol w/e he was fine and blew some amazing air rings. :idk:

Sorry Gypsy.
I got hurt on my bike Monday. Swallowing anti-inflammatories and such while changing the ape hangers on my Softail at the moment.
Don't mean to derail your post. Nice pics!

You OK? Been a while since I got seriously hurt on the bike, but every day, on every ride there is that potential. I have even had young lady TRY to run me down, to teach me a lesson, because her husband had been killed on a bike. :shocked2:
That was a month before my head on with a car in my lane, back in 95'. Took me a while to return to riding a lot after that rough year.

K, hijack over. Sorry folks.

Some guys still like the simplicity of the old way. My friend Herman, who posted earlier in this thread, on Bonaire a few years ago:

ScubaBonaire_08_003b.jpg

I hope you don't mind my posting this Herman. I just never expected to see the rigs we were using 40 yrs ago, combined with Nitrox, so I loved this shot of you in your double hose circa 1960's

And we have a new generation of minimalists coming up threw the ranks, I believe?!:

Bonairetrip-1-09_361b.jpg

:popcorn: :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom