• Rec Diver: Water pre/post, alcohol is for Dinosaurs & DCI's

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Rec Diver: I drink alcohol after diving

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Rec Diver: I drink alcohol alot after diving

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Rec Diver: I drink alcohol but not after multiple dives

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Teck Diver: are you crazy, only wrecked divers drink alcohol.

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Teck Diver: are you crazy, I couldn't dive unless I drink alcohol!

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinman once bubbled...

...Excellent summary,Thank-you. Is dehydration the only concern here?

Dehydration is one of the primary contributing factors to DCI.

Tom

On my latest diving trip I would finish my last dive about noon , boat ride to dive op, clean and store gear , then eat lunch.

I'd get back to my hotel about 2pm and usually had one frozen Strawberry diaquri and maybe one with supper at night.

I would try to drink a liter of water before diving each day.

As with most things in life common sense and moderation play an important part in remaining safe. It doesn't matter if you're driving, diving, boating, skiing, or cutting firewood with a chain saw. Keeping yourself and others out of harms way requires clear thinking.

Of course I've seen some clean and sober folks who had never had anything to drink that I wouldn't want to dive with me.

Todd

Define pre dive. My last drink before my dive on saturday was over 12 hours and I did not have that much - well OK more than I planned (good to meet you Thomas!) but had a hell of a head on Saturday!

Still large amounts of Pocari Sweat got me throw the day but it seemed everytime that dry suite zip was closed I wanted to undo it again! (Note to self: Self get a new drysuite with P valve and pee zip!)

Still managed to have oodles of fun zipping about with a scbubapro dpv, fantastic viz and I finally managed to get my gas shut down to under 1minute.

So good day all round apart from that headache!

Will try not to repeat as I do not think it is clever. On liveaboards in the past we have taken on duty free only to find the bottles still full on the last night!

Oh and yes there is weak English beer (other than American import though that is stronger than in the US I believe) but a good one is hard to find. If you are done Dorset way I can recommend Arkell's which I think is 3.5%.

Jonathan

redwingsfan asked...
I'm curious about any science regarding drinking after diving. Is there any? Is there any biological hazards to drinking after diving separate and apart from drinking in general?

tinman asked...
Besides obvious potential contraindications with any meds being taken, is there any other physiological concerns or interactions that might contribute to diving maladies such as DCI or Micro Bubble formation/deformation. Does nitrogen rich blood predispose one to any risks in combination with post dive alcohol consumption.

I'm not aware of any studies looking at the effects of drinking alcohol after diving. I imagine it sure would be hard to get funding for such a study (although maybe not so hard to find willing participants). It's hard to get funding for many studies that might be interesting to recreational diving so a lot of what we "know" about diving medicine is really supposition based on what is known.

redwingsfan asked...
Otherwise, isn't this whole debate/discussion really just a rehash of temperance vs. social drinking philosophies? Does it have anything to do with diving (aside from reiterating the imprudence of drinking before diving)?

You have a point there, redwingsfan.

Bill

Ok, I think we beat this one to death. Bill, I understand that actual studies on the matter would be unlikely. Nor do I see this as a sermon pro/con. More likely just an important relative contraindication to diving that we as a diving community tend to minimize at our collective peril.

I might have one beer in the evening if I am on a diving vacation, but not more (and I do like beer).

I think that risking higher chances of both DCS and Narcossis is not worth it.

I do my drinking when not diving (or driving).

Ari :)

NO, I don't drink and dive. I get tired on repeative and deep dives. My drink of choice is Nitrox and 100% O2. That seems to cure my diving hangover just fine. I've seen a number of, guys, almost exclusively, dive hungover, dive masters included. Some role models! Fortunately nobody has been hurt yet. Yet another example of, just because you have the cert., dosn't mean you deserve it! I'm not an angel, however I've never done this. I won't go into my list of questionable deeds thank you.

I drink Coffee in the morning and if the day is miserable in between dives, I also drink water approximately 3 litres in a working day, then when the day is finished I drink several beers wait 12 hours (mostly sleeping) and start all over again. I've been doing pretty much just that for 10 years as a much maligned working DM/MI (yeah meee 2) I have never been to the chamber other than as a tender.

I never had a drink in my life…..not before or after diving ,,never
I get drunk with cola ahahaahahah

I hardly drink anything but water.....ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom