do you insure your housing for flood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

notabob

Contributor
Reaction score
What the subject said. Camera and flash cards are obvious. But does a mechanical housing (a-la Ikelite, for instance) really need to be insured against flooding? I would imagine that a thorough rinse-dry-and-lube restore it to working order. Am I correct in this assumption or not? Thanks.

-Roman.

If the housing has no electronics in it, such as the Olympus PT-10, all it needs is a good drying out and cleaning. But if the housing has electrical hookups for a strobe, for instance, it will probably need to be repaired to some degree.

The housing is an Ikelite for a Canon G2. All mechanical, no electronics/connections of any sort. Pretty much what I thought. Thanks!

-Roman.

Hi, notabob!

Please read any policy you are thinking about very carefully! Some indicate that ALL equipment must be insured in order for the policy to be in effect. This can be quite an additional premium--even for an Ikelite Housing since I think they run about $750.00.

One policy that I considered even required your strobes and arms to be insured in order for them to honor a claim!

Scorpionfish

From what I've been able to gather, DEPP only requires that you insure one set of regular gear (bc/reg/gauges) in order to get flood coverage for anything. I don't think they require that you insure all of you photo gear for flood. If someone using the DEPP policy knows otherwise, please tell me. I'm thinking that I'll likely go with DEPP at this point, especially if I don't have to insure the housing.

-Roman.

notabob once bubbled...
From what I've been able to gather, DEPP only requires that you insure one set of regular gear (bc/reg/gauges) in order to get flood coverage for anything. I don't think they require that you insure all of you photo gear for flood. If someone using the DEPP policy knows otherwise, please tell me. I'm thinking that I'll likely go with DEPP at this point, especially if I don't have to insure the housing.

-Roman.

I *think* you have to insure 2 major pieces of dive gear, ex. BC and regs, regs and computer, etc. Only the insured items will be covered and there's no stipulation for complete gear coverage. There is a 4% charge for flood coverage. When you're trying to decide what to cover for flooding, don't forget expensive computers, dive watches, etc. Anything that can be flooded can be insured, not just camera equipment.

As they say, it's not IF something will floods, it's WHEN!

You know, I never thought of the dive computer as something that could potentially flood, but you're right - there's always a possibility of that happening. I somehow just assumed that it wouldn't. I'll have to check whether manufacturer warranties the unit against flooding or not.

-Roman.

Don't forget those expensive lenses I had one flood last year and DEPP paid off. I insure all my floodable gear with DEPP cheap peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom