Do you need a 4WD in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbilicska

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everybody out there.
Do you need a truck or some type of 4WD to get around to most of the dive sites in Bonaire?
We are just avid snorkelers so we do not have that much gear. A compact car with a trunk is usually more then enough.
I have never driven a manual shift and all the automatic 4WD SUV'S and trucks start at over $350 a week and keep on going up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We do not have to go to the National Park on this trip.
Thanks
Joe

You certainly don't need a 4X4 unless you plan on going off roadin (which is possible) and if your not hauling tanks then you can probably get by without a truck. But I think you'll be hard pressed to find a rental car, because it seemed almost standard issue for rentals to be trucks. I do know that some places have automatics though, they are just few and far between so you'll want to be sure and specifiy that up front. we stayed at BuddyDive and had the package deal where a truck was included with our accomodations. We checked out all the other resorts while we there to see if Buddy Dive was the right choice for our next visit and almost every other place had a similiar package offering.

I've never been to the National Park there, so I can't speak as to what you'd need for that, but since you are not going there it's a non issue.

Hope that helps!

A 4wd truck is not necessary in Bonaire. Rentals in Bonaire are typically trucks, you will see mostly extended/crew cab trucks... A place for people and a place for the gear. I also try to avoid nice trucks (the rattier the better) dings, scratches, and dents show up like a sore thumb on the nice trucks.

Having said that there is a ton of info regarding Bonaire on this site. One thing everyone will tell you, don't take any more than you need for your outing and don't roll up the windows and or lock the truck.

In additon to the info on this site there is a ton of info at bonairetalk.com, here is a link to the "getting around Bonaire" section.

Bonaire Talk: Getting around Bonaire

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for all the fast responses so far. It seems like we could get away with just a regular automatic car then as long as we drive carefully.

Thanks
Joe

Welcome to the board, just got back from 2 weeks on Bonaire.

While there is no need for a 4wd, I would suggest you might reconsider your choice of a small car unless you are happy limiting your site selection. 4wd is not needed but many (most) sites are not well developed so large ruts, rocks and in gerneral rough conditions exist. The extra ground clearance of the truck makes getting in and out of them a lot easier and reduces the chance of undercarrage damage or getting the vehicle stuck.

I agree with Herman....a lot of the southern sites in particular have pretty rough parking areas where a regular car would have difficulty getting in and out of.

You will also want the truck, if you decide to go into the park, they normally do not allow "cars", especially ones that sit lower to the ground in the park. The roads are all graded dirt roads, so depending on the weather, you will definitely need a truck.

Liz

As a snorkeler you might be OK with a car, but for a diver it would be simply absurd to rent a car - instead of a truck - in Bonaire.

Beyond the issues of clearance to road, access to sites, etc that everyone mentioned above. A truck has...

- more room for tanks (my buddy and I would load 10 tanks and be gone the whole day)
- more room for gear (heck of a lot easier to travel with BC/tanks/etc assembled)
- a tailgate to sit on while donning/doffing gear (try doing that while sitting on a bumper)
- a clean, dry bed you can stand in while changing in & out of wetsuit/booties/etc (option is sandy/dirty/wet ground)

Besides, you can't sleep in the trunk of a car during your surface interval!

WarmDry.jpg

Love that pic. Thanks for the laugh.

I agree, great picture RJP an instant classic.
After the last few posts and reading some more it looks like we'll have to bite the bullet and go for the 4WD.
AB Carrental has a 5 Door Automatic 4WD that they recommend for us at $350/week.

We won't be able to take a nap to easily in the back though.

Thanks
Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom