Do you need to be an instructor to own a dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebunny13

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Quick question: I just found out that the owner/operator of my dive school has had both his NAUI and PADI instructor certifications revoked. He isn't involved in the day to day teaching at the internship but I was wondering if there was any precedent or standard for an owner/operator to have a certification? Thanks!

Regardless of whether the owner has to be a licensed instructor, I sure would want to know why his certifications were revoked! Are you a student there or an employee?

Yikes! That's a bit scary...

With some of the poor instruction I've heard about, I really didn't think it was possible to get it revoked.

Quick question: I just found out that the owner/operator of my dive school has had both his NAUI and PADI instructor certifications revoked. He isn't involved in the day to day teaching at the internship but I was wondering if there was any precedent or standard for an owner/operator to have a certification? Thanks!

No. Most owners are instructors, but there's no requirement.

If you found that out through PADI and NAUI, then I find it believable. Even if his status is "revoked" by either PADI or NAUI, I find it hard to believe that they would reveal it to you.

Some folks choose to not "renew" their instructor status, that does not mean that it is "revoked".

Some folks choose not to carry liability insurance, and let their certification lapse.

If you can prove that it is truly revoked, then that is a different story. It is still extremely hard if not impossible to imagine that 2 certifying agency would revoke both his NAUI and his PADI certification. The process is so complex, it would be hard to believe that even one organisation would revoke his instructor status, that having 2 revoking his status - would be almost unbelievable.

Check your sources before you spread rumor. Rumors are very harmful, and also unlawful.

Is a "professional" certification a requirement for "Ownership" ? No it's not.

Having somebody on staff that holds a DM or instructor cert makes buying insurance cheaper and easier. In practice this "staffer" is often also the business owner.

Most dive shops buy insurance through programs that offer packages through agency affiliation.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom