Do you prestretch your neck seal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangguy327

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just put a new latex neck seal on my drysuit and I remember reading not to cut your seal back until it has time to "break in" because it will leak once it breaks in. That being said I am considering stretching it over a tank for a while and then cutting it to fit my neck.

I there any reason why this is a bad idea?

And what is the prefered method to trim a latex neck seal?

I wouldn't even bother pre-stretching a latex neck seal over a tank. It probably would have minimal benefit and, depending on how rough your tank surface coating is, it could expose the latex to more-abrasion-than-usual just getting the seal on/off the tank.

Trim the seal so that it still feels sort of tight, but doesn't hinder breathing or turn your face blue or red. After wearing the seal for a minute or two, it shouldn't feel very constrictive.

Over time, the seal will loosen up a little. That's why you want to start out with it sort of tight.

A rotary cutter (from a carpet or craft store) works well to cut the seal. You'll need a form to place inside the hole in order to use this method. I have had good success with sharp scissors, too. Go slow. Trim off one ring at a time until the seal fits as specified above.

Neoprene neck seals are a completely different animal.

+1: latex seal does NOT require pre-stretching, but it DOES require cutting/trimming. Neoprene requires pre-stretching (depending on fit) because you can't trim it.

When I cut mine I use a paint can for the neck and trace it with an exacto Knife. For the wrists I use an aluminum soda can and go easy on the knife action so you don't get coke all over the place...

Good luck

It's like breaking in stiff leather bloody shoes, but at least with shoes they last. Put your suit on inflate it a bit watch TV eating chips and get used to it. If youre head goes red you may be hot. Blue is bad. Can you get an approximate size from your old seal. Which part of unconscious is left out of breaking in. Once trimmed thats it. One dick I know, not this one, used his exacto with seal stretched over tank cut through paint oops new seal, but he's a dick. I use scissors or knife with template and dressmaking skills. My neoprene gets built tapered long then it gets cut to length. When it starts to loosen it gets a piece cut out then re glued then it turns to crap and it's time to start again. Stretching neoprene is a very bad not fatal idea. It decreases its life by many moons. Neoprene has memory so when you store it like a bum the creases remain reminding you and everyone else that you stored it like a bum and not to store it like a bum again. Then you start again. But then it's petty invigorating having that 5000000psi cold water trickle in your neck when you move your head. The end. Obviously patience with experimentation.

Thanks for all the help, I ended up doing the paint can idea, it worked great.

Ended up trimming 2 rings, after the first I could still feel my head throb with every heartbeat. After 2 rings it fit a little snug but not too bad, hopefully it stays that way and doesnt get leaky... if it does, not much lost as the seal only cost me $13 bux:D

Back
Top Bottom