Do you smoke

Do you smoke? I am talking about any kind of smoke

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't, but every instructor i know, apart from one, does smoke...ever heard of a pre dive saftey fag?
(i think fag means something else for americans, so if you american, and are shocked at my randomness, fag=Cigarette)

I don't, but here in Guam I'd estimate 70% or more of the Japanese instructors smoke, as well as a majority of the local ones as well. The other day on the boat there was a group of 3 Tech divers...double tanks, pony bottles, etc....but they also were smoking pretty much anytime they weren't underwater. If they had any advanced tech gear that would let them smoke THEN, I'm sure they would have. But, it's a free world, none of my business.

"pre-dive safety smoke" ... now there's an oxymoron.

Not to sound judgmental ... but there's nothing "safety" about smoking and diving. Smoking only inhibits an effective use of your lungs ... and you need those for scuba.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I do, I keep trying to quit, but everyone seems boud and determined to help me when I do.

Here's a hint non-smokers... telling someone who's quiting how bad cigs are for them every 5 mins does not help, it just gives us nic fits.

i know! thats what our instructors tell us for an excuse for smoking just before a dive! :yleyes:

NWGratefulDiver:
"pre-dive safety smoke" ... now there's an oxymoron... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think it was a joke Bob

NWGratefulDiver:
Not to sound judgmental ... but there's nothing "safety" about smoking and diving. Smoking only inhibits an effective use of your lungs ... and you need those for scuba.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You sound judgmental! Time for that second cup of coffee Bob

Now lets talk about the safety aspects of Speedos. Speedos can inhibit the effective use of the sensitive vas deferens, and you need those to make new divers.

What I love most about smokers.
Is it their yellow teeth? No

Is it their ashtray breath? No.

Is it they way 95% of them seem to think the world is their ash tray. When they are walking or driving when the cigarette is done, down on the ground or sand it goes. No. I for one am tired of it. I applaud the cities and county of Los Angeles for outlawing smoking on public beaches. This law was passed in response to the large numbers of butts (cigarette that is) found on the beach.

Is it the way 50% of them smoke up wind (unintentionally I am sure) of me. No. I of course, like many (and growing due to exposure) am allergic to the smoke.

Is it the health benefits to others? No. Cigarette smoke (according to a recent study) doubles your risk for heart attack. This is true even for second hand smoke. Recent study of the effects of second hand smoke used blood levels of chemicals caused in the blood. Using this blood work they established that people exposed to second hand smoke had double the risk for heart attack absent any other risk factors.

Is it the attactive way my dad looked against the white hospital sheets ravaged by cancer and in incredible pain as he died far too young? No.

I understand why my father smoked. When he started they did not know better and the tobacco companies who did know the truth lied to the public and congress in testimony that cigarettes were not addictive or carcinogenic. What lie. But today, the truth is known, and yet people start smoking every day. Why?

I used to smoke.
-wait a minute. I didn't smoke. It was the cigarette that smoked.
I was just the sucker.

cancun mark:
Now lets talk about the safety aspects of Speedos. Speedos can inhibit the effective use of the sensitive vas deferens, and you need those to make new divers.

Now was that necessary?

Back
Top Bottom