Do you think Nitrox is a deep diving gas?

Is nitrox with O2 greater than air a deep diving gas?

• Yes

Votes: 39 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 244 79.0%
  • Are you Nitrox certified?

Votes: 150 48.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same. I'll use it when I'm doing multiple dives in a day but for the typical quarry dive or two, I use air. However, I feel less tired after using NITROX when doing those multiple dives. Even if it's placebo ( but I really think not ) I like thinking I'm less tired. :)
Who cares if its placebo? If a medicine work and its a placebo, please dont let me know. I dont care WHY it works, just that it does :p

I was taught that the O2 has nearly the same narcosis effect as the N2 so the narcosis doesn't differ between Nitrox and Air. This is partly why the Tec divers that are going deep will use Trimix or Heliox to reduce the narcosis.

I was taught that the O2 has nearly the same narcosis effect as the N2 so the narcosis doesn't differ between Nitrox and Air. This is partly why the Tec divers that are going deep will use Trimix or Heliox to reduce the narcosis.

Narcosis or narcotic effect?

Statistics prove that there has been no reduction in DCS cases when using Nitrox.

[Anal-retentive hat on]
Speaking as a doctoral-level statistician, let me point out that statistics don't "prove" anything, ever. In particular (assuming a traditional frequentist approach to statistics), it is impossible under any circumstances to confirm a null result. Statistics may strongly suggest that there has been no reduction in DCS cases, but that is not proof.
[Anal-retentive hat off]

Sorry; I don't normally quibble, but I'm getting that annoying message about how I haven't posted in weeks, and I want it to go away.

Same. I'll use it when I'm doing multiple dives in a day but for the typical quarry dive or two, I use air. However, I feel less tired after using NITROX when doing those multiple dives. Even if it's placebo ( but I really think not ) I like thinking I'm less tired. :)

Let people think its placebo if they like. Some people think the same thing about anti biotics and asprin. Oh well I like you appreciate being able to drive the minimum of 1.5 hours or greater to get home after the dive and not feel like im going to fall asleep at the wheel

Pity you don't have a Fill Express nearby. Same price for air or Nitrox.

Eh.

Their prices for standard Nitrox mixes are pretty good, but their prices for air fills suck (OCA only), so it's a tradeoff, IMO. I really hate paying Nitrox prices for pool sessions and dives that will be less than 30' (read: many class dives).

The fact that they charge per cubic foot is great if you're just topping off partially used tanks (especially good in cave country, with lots of folks diving thirds, I'd imagine), but if you regularly dive in places where you take your tanks down to 500psi or lower, a lot of their pricing advantage goes away.

OTOH, they're known for giving GREAT fills (from a pressure standpoint).

OTOH, they're known for giving GREAT fills (from a pressure standpoint).
They are also known for having impeccable quality in their fills.

In the interest of disclosure, the guy was my Nitrox instructor (and a damned good one at that).

They are also known for having impeccable quality in their fills.

In the interest of disclosure, the guy was my Nitrox instructor (and a damned good one at that).

I would imagine, since Oxygen-compatible air is cleaned to a very high standard. It's just more than I like to pay for air.

I'm spoiled, though, since my LDS has a membrane rig for Nitrox. No need for o2 clean tanks for Nitrox up to 40%, $8 per fill, any size single tank, plus cheap air fills. ($2-3, any size single tank)

The selling per cf thing is handy for doubles, though.

So in the end, yes, I DO wish we had a Fill Express nearby! (I wouldn't always go there, however)

Have the standards changed?

When I took AOW in 1995, deep was 60-100fsw. PADI/SSI had an operational max depth limit of 60fsw for OW divers. The deep cert was to extend the student's max bottom to 100/120fsw.

**disclaimer** I answered Are you Nitrox certified?

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom