Do you use a color correction lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mafiaman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do you use a color correction lens while videoing?
If not please explain your process to correct the color.

I don't, but most of my footage is up close and personal and shot with lights. If I shot more overviews, I would use a filter. However, I also think it may be better to have people see what it really looks like when you are underwater. But then, I'm partially color-blind anyway.

I use the Ikelite UR-Pro color correction filter with my videos. i like it a lot. If however, you are up close and personal like Dr. bill, then lights generally work better than the filter.

Then there are those that use no lights. Red filter is pretty much needed.
The only way around not using a red filter is to white balance in your editing program.

Mafiaman:
Do you use a color correction lens while videoing?
If not please explain your process to correct the color.

This is a bit of a hit & miss issue.

For me, in the waters off of California, there is enough light down to about 80 feet to use the standard red filter that comes with a Light and Motion housing.
Below that, the filter blocks too much light to be useful.

Like DrBill said, if you shoot just closeups, then lights are preferrable here.

If you want some more panoramic shots then a red filter is good (although I have heard to use a more orange or blue? filter in green water like we have) but then you really need to be able to access white balanc to get the best results.

If the primary light source is the sun, I use a filter that's good for about 50'. If diving at night or in caverns, I use an empty centering ring. I also always (day, night, lights or no) white balance about every 5' of depth change. I believe using the filter cuts a little of the light energy but helps the camera not have to work so hard.

Aside of the camera, housing, and lights, the single most cost-effective thing I dive with is my white balance slate. Learning how to use it AND actually using it have really made a big difference.

There are at least 2 schools of thought regarding color adjustment and white balance - 1) shoot what's naturally seen by the diver and 2) color correct to make white white and let the unseen colors (red) come out. I like to see the reds. They really make the memories stand out.

I use a UR Pro CY filter for everything but extreme close-ups or night under bright lights anytime I’m below 25’. The f-stop you give up is well worth it to me to get colors that are more interesting to most viewers.

I dive in pretty green water in the Pacific Northwest, and I use a UR Pro GR filter except for close-up or very shallow work. Without the filter, the green often so dominates the exposure setting that the red signal has a very low signal/noise ratio. Adding the filter reduces the green, opening up the iris a little to let in more of the red, providing a cleaner signal. It's a little crude because of the dramatic color changes with depth and even with direction. I do color correction in post-processing, but the filter gives me something better to work with.

stillhope:
I dive in pretty green water in the Pacific Northwest, and I use a UR Pro GR filter except for close-up or very shallow work. Without the filter, the green often so dominates the exposure setting that the red signal has a very low signal/noise ratio. Adding the filter reduces the green, opening up the iris a little to let in more of the red, providing a cleaner signal. It's a little crude because of the dramatic color changes with depth and even with direction. I do color correction in post-processing, but the filter gives me something better to work with.

John -- do you have a URL to link to with more info on that filter?
Thanks,

nick

Lot's of good information here.

Thanks everyone
Chris C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom