Do you use a wetsuit in CZML?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did 2-3 dives a day for a week earlier this month in nothing but board shorts and it was perfect. I actually did my first dive in a 3 mill and just decided it wasn't worth the hassle of putting it on / off. I'm thin, 6' 1" and 185lbs, never came close to getting cold. Computer said most temps were 76-78. I think mild TX winters are cold so I'm not some polar bear either. I'm somewhat new to diving and find it a bit odd that everyone seems to wear so much gear in warm tropical water. Pretty sure the DM's down there have a few chuckles.

How long is a piece of string? I did 2 dives/day the last week in Dec/first week in Jan. I was in a full 4/3, and was chilly enough to wear a long-sleeve rash skin or 1mm neoprene underneath...and sometimes a 1mm hood...and I still got cold on some dives (50~65 minutes). My computer was showing slightly warmer temps, maybe yours+3. As for the DMs from Tres Pelicanos... Jorge always wore a hooded vest and sometimes a full suit, and Edgar usually had some crazy-easy-to-spot shorts, but also a shorty wetsuit & hood. Of course, some people on the same boat seemed comfortable in board shorts & a t-shirt -- but they were obvious as the exceptions. Most people seemed to be wearing 2~4mm full suits (I know one person had 5mm), regardless of body composition.

Really, it's such an individual call, with such a wide range of answers that I don't know if this thread is of much use to the OP anymore (hey, that's how you know you're on scubaboard, right?). I'd suggest that if you've been diving before in waters of about 78~81F, with similar air temp, wear whatever made you comfortable before.

I use a 3 mill in mexico. I am very warm with that. I was with a guy that had no suit or skin. he was fine. I don't think a hood is necessary, at least for me.

I go with nothing. Next week the missus will be in a 7 mil. Course she is thin and stay down forever.

I go with nothing. Next week the missus will be in a 7 mil. Course she is thin and stay down forever.

In that case I want the viz to be really bad when I dive with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom