Doc Deep plans 1200' Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, on these ultra-deep dives you need more luck than skill.

Maybe yes, maybe no. When you have a lot against you, and you have the option to go in, don't you want to have all the skills/knowledge...available to you? Just because you go down and make it back does not mean that you did it well. When you repeatedly come back, then maybe you are doing something right, but is it optimal?

Jumping from 800 ft to 1200 ft with < 350 tech dives and only 4 years of experience.....

When you repeatedly come back, then maybe you are doing something right, but is it optimal?

Again I wasn't trying to attack anyone, it was meant to be a general statement, I maybe should not have posted in this thread. I do believe it's true though.

Benno,You dont even know the man and make f$ck$d-up comments like. Karma......

Bennno can be... blunt... but I didn't think he was out of line here.

This is pretty sad.
I started reading this thread this morning from the beginning. I got to the page that said the dive was Aug 15th. Realizing it was yesterday, I eagerly read each post faster and faster to answer the question about how Doc was doing.... then came the post, "rest in peace doc".

Pretty heartbreaking...
Then I read the post that described Doc's experience.... GAH! This guy was NOT ready for a dive like this, not even close. I really hate avoidable loss. Fuggin stupid. I feel sorry for the wife and kids. I'm truly sorry for their unnecessary loss.

Benno,You dont even know the man and make f$ck$d-up comments like. Karma......

I do't know him either but don't need to in order to say it was a poorly thought thru plan and from what has been said he seriously lacked the experience to make this attempt.

The difference between his deepest dive and the target depth was over 100 meters which by itself would be pushing it for his experience...

It is kinda chicken **** to come down so hard on this guy AFTER the dive. Wouldn't it have made more sense to come down on him before the dive.. sorta stick your neck out a little.

If we knew his training and experience were inadequate, why not express that opinion openly to him and his family and his supporters? For all we know, he could have executed the dive perfectly and a shark took him.

Why otherwise intelligent people get obsessed over "records" in diving I will never understand. What a waste.

It is kinda chicken **** to come down so hard on this guy AFTER the dive. Wouldn't it have made more sense to come down on him before the dive.. sorta stick your neck out a little.

Eh, a bunch of the pre-death comments are coming down on him too.

If we knew his training and experience were inadequate, why not express that opinion openly to him and his family and his supporters? .

You might want to do some homework before making statements like this...its has ALL been said BEFORE the dive took place.

There was another thread referencing this guy a few months ago, started by a novice diver who was just amazed that he was so privileged to be on the same boat as this guy while he was doing his warmup dives...which were deep bounce dives with little deco. I can't remember for the life of me which thread it was, but a lot of us were very clear in expressing that he was either a liar(obviously not) or just plain stupid. The dive op that supported his dive has even seen the criticism and predictions of this dives outcome....and made a "statement" that we were being too harsh, and that Guy was one of the best qualified divers on earth. The original promo video was very telling of the mindset of at least the dive team...if not Guy himself.

Too much ego, not enough common sense. Hope he had insurance.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom