Does a BC filled to capacity maintanin a constent amount of lift at different depth's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your original post covers the conclusion that I have come to. I haven't gone as far as taking apart an OPV and measuring the force required to collapse the spring and distributing that over the surface area of the valve face. I think some where back in this thread there was a surprising low # (<5 psi?) above abient. Seems reasonable now.
Thanks,
Greg

roakey:
We had a long discussion about this statement in some other note, I'll see if I can find it. Basically, the overall conclusion is that this statement was yet another example of how Rodales doesn't have a clue when it comes to anything other than shallow, warm water diving (going down the same road as Skindiver Magazine).
I think this is what you are thinking of:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t36712.html

peterwhennessey:
This is another thing altogether , but I used to melt lead solder for a living, and noticed if you throw a new stick of solder into the melting pot it floats!! So I believe water is not the only substance to get less dense as it cools to solidication (freezing) point.

PwH

I think you are seeing surface tension at work on the lead... Water is a bi-polar molecule. Looks like a Mickey-mouse head with the 2 ears as the 2 hydrogens. Unbalancing the charge as they are on one end making The H2O molecule have a positive and a negative end. When it gets colder than 39 degrees F the charged ends begin to line up +-+-+- and take up more space in the process, the water, in doing this, becomes less dense and....Presto! It floats. Now you have the ability for life on earth. Otherwise the oceans would freeze solid, from the bottom up. Water does this, lead cannot. :thinkingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom