Does a dive flag protect you? Think again.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fines don't solve problems... giving a damn about the other guy does... you can take an adversarial approach to boaters (ie., punative power)... or you can be proactive and friendly... "raising awareness" I think was the catch phrase of the 70's...

I'd opt for the proactive and friendly approach...

Too many boaters feel that we ( divers) are in their way ( on the reef), and that we should not be in their way...I can't tell you how many fisherman have had words with dive boats I've been on over the last 20 years--a lot of these guys don't like us, and they are happy to show this with agressive behavior--ie., threatening us with their boat. Your proactive and freindly approach will not work on someone who thinks you have no business out here, and feels compelled to make an example of you.
As a road cyclist, I have the same issue with many of the cars on the coastal road ( A1A). This is where cyclists ride, it is the best road for us, and the speed limit for cars is 35mph. We are usually going between 24 and 33mph in a pack of 10 or more cyclists....Most motorists will give us enough room when they pass, to not create any concern or annoyance...but there are motorists on many of our riding days, that do NOT like cyclists on the road with them, and they are pissed that they might have to slow down, or go around us. What they often do, is purposely "almost" hit us--they will litterally miss us by an inch with their car....occaisionally, the driver will miscalculate, and a cyclist can actually get bumped into the shoulder, and crash. Police do not do anything on behalf of the cyclists.

Now, you can wave nicely to each of these ********, but if one almost hit your girlfriend, and all you want to do is wave back, then you and I will never agree on an appropriate response.
To me, if someone is constantly threatening your life, and the situation will potentially get worse, then I am going to DO something about it.
Helmet cams with high quality video of a battery or assault is a start, and I would be thrilled to pay an attorney, to rip one of these drivers a big one. I would much prefer a personal confrontation, but this would not work in the best interest of the cyclists , so this is not a situation I am trying to create.
My point here, is that passive, nice and timid will make a cyclist, or a diver, every bit as much of a target as a small child in a playground, being threatened by the local bully. No amount of being nice back to him is ever going to help.

Walk softly, but carry a big stick.....this is a lot closer to what is required. In the diving case, the big stick is the punitive measure of the huge fines or loss of a boat.

Dan Volker

Dan...

I also ride (or rode) bikes a lot... I had precisely two incidents in a dozen years... both by road confusion... maybe I lead a charmed life... MAYBE because I don't feel I own the road and everybody needs to make way for me.

I'm not doubting your experiences... but I will state that I'm pretty sure they are not universal...

Proceed with your crusade... there's nothing any of us can do to deter you... I won't be joining... and pulling out all the hypothetical heart-strings "what-if" scenerios isn't going to change that. There was a time I would respond to the "rally-round-the-flag" stumping of people who really didn't want to get involved themselves... just "motivate" others... I don't do that anymore... I generally find those who do end up cannon fodder...

I'm outta' here...

The issue of enforcement aside, this is not the case here in Ontario (and I assume Canada). You do in fact need a liscence to drive a boat of a certain size and/or horsepower.

Hi Steve nice to see a fellow Canuck weight on this topic I've been diving West hawk
(eastern Manitoba) I have witness on three seperate occations boat and seadoo operators around dive flags One seadoo operater using our flags as an obstical coarse hit the DIVE FLAG (3X3 plastic float) he fell off and was hurt HE WAS NOT CHARGED or even QUESTIONED about the incident. Yes we have a licence. In The coarse the topic of DIVE FLAGS is only a slight mention and not much more. Attention is payed to other issues like being curtious to other boaters? I agree with some of the others any fool can pass a test but following the rules is another thing. I like the 300 ft clearanceidea of the states ours is only 100ft which is not far enough.

I can only speak to what I have found for Ontario but neither the Marine Safety Transport Canada manager that I spoke to nor the actual boating exam seem to want to say anything other than "Be Careful". Nowhere (that I could see) is an actual distance mentioned for how far a boat must stay from a dive flag. So all I can say, remain deep enough to be free of propellers or take your chances (divers and not you specifically :D).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ontario-fresh-water-freaks/271986-ontario-flag-laws.html

Hi Steve nice to see a fellow Canuck weight on this topic I've been diving West hawk
(eastern Manitoba) I have witness on three seperate occations boat and seadoo operators around dive flags One seadoo operater using our flags as an obstical coarse hit the DIVE FLAG (3X3 plastic float) he fell off and was hurt HE WAS NOT CHARGED or even QUESTIONED about the incident. Yes we have a licence. In The coarse the topic of DIVE FLAGS is only a slight mention and not much more. Attention is payed to other issues like being curtious to other boaters? I agree with some of the others any fool can pass a test but following the rules is another thing. I like the 300 ft clearanceidea of the states ours is only 100ft which is not far enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom