Does an idle reg require service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muldoonthief

Reaction score
Since the birth of our first child 3 years ago, my wife has pretty much put diving on hold. She isn't quitting completely, but we expect she won't get in the water for at least another 2 or 3 years.

Is there any reason to continue to do annual service on her regulator? It has been serviced once since the last time it was wet, so there are no saltwater corrosion issues. It's a Sherwood, so there are no "free part kits based on annual service" issues. And I would certainly have it serviced before it gets used again. I just don't see paying $50 + parts each year for a reg that sits in a closet. Is there any other reason why I should keep up the annual service on an unused reg?

I can't see any reason to service it untill you are ready to put it back into use. At that point, you are talking 5+ years, so I would then suggest a full service rather than just a performance check.

Proper storage in a cool, dry place away from UV and ozone damage can only help keep hoses & other components in servicable condition.

I agree 100% with AWAP, especially about storing the critter away from any UV (sunlight) high temperatures, fumes (petroleum or exhaust) & ozone (electric motors). That means no garages, no basement w/furnace, hot water heater, electrical appliances, etc.
Having it in an airtight container works best.
I have no qualms about using a reg that's been stored up to 5 years w/o a rebuild as long as its been stored properly.

I would check with your LDS on the warranty implications if it's not serviced every year.

Just a thought.

Diverlady

The reg has already missed one annual service (last service was 2001), so I've already voided any warranty requirements. The reg did not include free parts as long as annual service is done (like my US Divers reg does), so I'm not concerned about losing free parts.

How long does the warranty on a reg last anyway? This one is at least 5 years old.

P.S. I like your sig diverlady. I'll try it on my wife the next time she asks me to clean the kitchen.

muldun....i would skip the ps idea....not only might she have not dived in a few years....it may be a while before she participates in something else as well !!! just an old guys advice.

muldoonthief once bubbled...

P.S. I like your sig diverlady. I'll try it on my wife the next time she asks me to clean the kitchen.

scuba_jenny has a good sig you might be able to use on your wife.

Diverlady

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom