Does Anyone Get Drymouth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mouth gets dry when 1) I'm breathing fast and heavy :eyebrow: 2) I use plastic body regs or 3) when I dive in the winter time and the air is drier than usual.

To counteract it, I sometimes take my reg out of my mouth (constantly exhaling a small stream of bubbles by making a ZZZZZ sound) and swish it around a bit to wet the inside.

do it easy:
To counteract it, I sometimes take my reg out of my mouth (constantly exhaling a small stream of bubbles by making a ZZZZZ sound) and swish it around a bit to wet the inside.

Same here ... even in salted water !!!

I had a main salivary gland fail years ago. So tricks to make the stuff, like toothpaste on the mouthpiece do not work for me. A metal second stage is an improvement over plastic.

I used to drymouth when I first started diving but I think better breathing has a lot to do with it.

My wife has a Sherwood Blizzard with the moisture retention stuff, seems to work pretty good.

I think there exists the ability to add moisture back to the air in a scuba set up; almost positive there is.

On a different thought, how would a hydration system like a Camel Back work under water?

I've been known to sip some seawater from time to time.

I get major dry mouth. I thought gatorade would help pre-dive...but actually seems to make it worse. I've been experimenting with different flavors with no success. I'm finding just plain water to be most helpful. Last dives I considered sticking some bottled water in my pocket......

I need a camelbak.:)

I get drymouth on dives longer than an hour or so.

Usually, just taking a gulp of ocean water, swishing it around, and then spitting it takes care of the problem for the next 15 minutes or so.

When doing shallow shore dives where I expect to be 90 minutes or 2 hours, I'll drop a Capri Sun juice pack into my BCD pocket. They collapse nicely as you drink them, so you don't have any problem getting the drink without getting saltwater. It is a one shot deal though, so I'll wait until about 2/3 of the way into the dive before drinking it. I like the sugar high too. :)

johnnyseko:
Last dives I considered sticking some bottled water in my pocket......
With standard plastic half liter bottles, it takes some skill to be able to drink more than about 1/2 of the bottle without getting seawater mixed into it. You have to keep your mouth sealed on the bottle and expel air back into the bottle after drinking some. Collapsible foil packs like Capri Sun are easier to use. The little cardboard juice boxes are kind of in between in ease of use.

Charlie Allen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom