Does anyone have ideas for the best snorkeling places for diver who now can't dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Simonds, I have been since the hurricane, and you are right, as it is probably not as nice as it was before the hurricane. But I still like it just the same. My wife and I always make a point to go to Chakanab ( yes I know I probably spelled that wrong ) park which is to the southern part of the island. I really like to snorkel there. There are underwater statues, plenty of sea life, and if you decide to, you can also rent scuba gear there. They have nice big chairs to sit in, some places have little thatched roofed huts to sit under. It just a nice place to spend the day.

And as it is close to Texas ( a lot closer than Connecticut ) I would think it could be done on the cheap.

If it were somehow possible, I would take you snorkeling, as I have literally spent my whole life in the water. And I know first hand what the water is capable of doing.

From my family to yours, I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks a lot for your personal message of hope and for this suggestion. I appreciate your thoughts.

Pretty funny, I think I'll go for it.

Thanks,

Just got back from Cabo San Lucas. Pelican Rock, Santa Maria Beach, and Chileno Beach all had good snorkeling. Visibilty was 30-40 ft (March is not optimal). Lots of critters. Largest fish spotted at Pelican Rock. More to expore at Santa Maria and Chileno. Cabo Pulmo is supposed to be the best snorkelling, but I never made it out there. We snorkelled on week days. I understand the sand at the beaches gets churned up rather badly on weekends.

Pelican Rock you get to by water taxi from the Marina (park at Puerto Paraiso mall, cheapest parking around the Marina at a dollar per day). Chileno Beach and Santa Maria Beach can be reached by car. Well marked on Hwy 1. If you pay attention, you'll see the signs on the way to Cabo San Lucas from the airport.

I did not make it out to Cabo Pulmo. A lady who lives in Cabo San Lucas (friend of a friend) told me it is a couple hours drive from Cabo San Lucas. Be careful how you park on the beach so you don't get stuck (same at Santa Maria). If it's been raining, take a 4WD.

Simonds,

My thoughts and prayers are with you!!!

I also am a diver who had, I would say about 500 or more dives under her belt. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2002 and was told not to dive. Thank God it was not cancer. My husband and I still came to Bonaire on holiday, but I remember my husband always saying "If I couldn't dive, I would have no use for Bonaire". Well from 2002 - 2005 all I could do was snorkel. I remember the first 2 snorkels we did were at Donkey Beach (across from the airport runway) and Tori's Reef. Both snorkels lasted over 2 hours and my husband, the one who said he would have no use for Bonaire, was amazed at how much he could see. Needless to say, the snorkeling is amazing, and I can point you to all the great sites!!! Enjoy, no matter where you go!!!

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom