Does anyone recognize this sea star?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to tell us where you saw it.

I can't figure this thing out at all. The carinal ridge (lumpy line) is remarkably high, yet it's all distorted.

Closest thing I can find is Narcissia trigonaria, and I'm really not happy at all with that. The person to ask is Dr. Chris Pomory, at the University of West Florida. He's the shallow water starfish expert for this part of the Atlantic.

cpomory@uwf.edu

Tom - Spotted in 75 fsw at the dive site Hot Springs (warm sand due to gas venting from below) off Saba, Netherlands Antilles, November 2007.

Archman - Thanks for the lead...I will follow it up.

Very fast response from Dr. Pomory is below. The dive site is a course sand slope into the deep, which fits the parameter for an accidental sighting, but as stated, this is a best-educated-guess. Friends in Saba are looking for it and will try for better photos. While this may not be a closed case, heartfelt thanks for everyone's assistance.

"I took a look at the photos and sent them to another colleague who also works on echinoderms and we are both of the same opinion. It is probably the species Tethyaster vestitus. Keep in mind trying to ID inverts from pictures is notoriously difficult, especially with only one view, so this is a guess, educated, but still a guess. Without a specimen in hand to look at close up on both sides there is no way to be sure. It is definitely not a common shallow-water species, which is why few people would recognize it. Tethyaster is typically found in deeper water, starting in about 150 feet, but there are a few reports of it occasionally straying into shallower depths. Was there a course sand bank in about 150-200 feet of water near the dive site? That would be the most probable source. I'm afraid that is the best I can do with one photo."

Christopher Pomory Ph.D.
Department of Biology
University of West Florida

Well, I'll defer to Chris on this one. He's smarter than me. Tethyaster... never seen a specimen look like the thing in your photo (the arms are incredibly swollen), but the other characteristics check out.

The swollen arms bug me. I really want to open that thing up and see what's causing it.:cut:

Oh and he likes chicken and dumplings.

That would explain the arms... many members of this Family can swell up like balloons when they swallow a lot of junk.

Chicken and dumplings. I should have known.

I don't even know what a "dumpling" is.:confused:

Here's a naive question: Can physical distortions be caused by decompression when deep-water critters move to shallow water?

Here's a naive question: Can physical distortions be caused by decompression when deep-water critters move to shallow water?

Yes. Fishes containing swim bladders will. They need to be yanked into shallow water rather quickly, however. The bladder tends to expand forward up into the throat.

Under natural conditions however, animals migrating from deep to shallow water don't normally look much/any different. That's because they don't have air spaces in their bodies. Sometimes you see colour pattern changes 'cuz they're *pissed off* about the shallow water being warmer, but that's about it.

Many species of starfish have incredibly flexible internal storage capacity in the central disk and upper arms. These spaces can be filled with ingested food items, and even occasionally, stored eggs and sperm.

In the case of your Tethyaster-looking starfish, I would wager that the animal has ingested a huge clump of seaweed, garbage, or even an animal carcass, and stuffed it up inside it's body to digest. I occasionally see deepwater starfish (usually big specimens like yours) with this appearance. One of these was in fact a Tethyaster, but in that case the central disk swelled up like a bowling ball (really messed up looking!) and the arms were left nice and flat. Now that I think back on that specimen, I do recall that the arms did look like they were capable of significant expansion.

So maybe that's whats going on. Or maybe it's just deformed. :D

Back
Top Bottom