Does anyone use the Sony 30mm f3.5 Macro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have recently upgraded my underwater camera to a Sony A6000 and Nauticam housing (from an Olympus E-PL1). I shoot primarily wide angle under water and I have that covered with the Sony 10-18 f4 OSS and the Nauticam 7inch dome.

Since I don't shoot a lot of macro, I don't want to invest a lot of money on it. Does anybody use the Sony 30mm f3.5 macro lens and if you do, are you happy with it? (If you could post examples, that wold definitely give me an idea if this would be a viable option for me.) Typically, for macro I shoot Christmas tree worms, Feather Dusters and the occasional Grouper at a cleaning station.

To be honest, I would prefer the new Sony 50mm f2.8 macro, but I don't see any ports available for it. (There is a Nauticam option for the Sony A mount and also for the Zeiss 50mm, but I don't see anything for the E Mount 50 f2.8 Macro.) Does anybody know of any ports that will work with this lens?

Thanks
Hoag

Bonaire-9.jpg Bonaire-18.jpg Bonaire 2013-46.jpg Bonaire-22.jpg Bonaire-61.jpg
Hi Hoag,

I have done a lot of shooting with the 3.5. It is a great lens for the money and it is very sharp. The only issue I have ever found with it, is that you need to get very close for one to one macro. It is great for fish portraits as it gives you a slightly wider angle. So while it is good it will not work well for any fish that are skittish. Additionally if you get the 3.5 and Port if you ever upgrade to the Zeiss 50 mm macro then all you need to do is get the adapter ring. If you do get the 3.5 port I suggest getting the one with a manual focus knob. I have since moved up to the 50 mm Ziess though the autofocus is not nearly as fast as the 3.5. Happy shooting

View attachment 410729 View attachment 410730 View attachment 410731 View attachment 410732 View attachment 410733
Hi Hoag,

I have done a lot of shooting with the 3.5. It is a great lens for the money and it is very sharp. The only issue I have ever found with it, is that you need to get very close for one to one macro. It is great for fish portraits as it gives you a slightly wider angle. So while it is good it will not work well for any fish that are skittish. Additionally if you get the 3.5 and Port if you ever upgrade to the Zeiss 50 mm macro then all you need to do is get the adapter ring. If you do get the 3.5 port I suggest getting the one with a manual focus knob. I have since moved up to the 50 mm Ziess though the autofocus is not nearly as fast as the 3.5. Happy shooting
dlutzer,
Thanks for your reply and for posting some pics. I am trying to keep both my size and costs down, so my options are pretty much limited to either the 30mm Macro and its port or the 50mm Macro and "live with" the limitations of it in the 7 inch dome port that I have for my 10-18mm wide angle.

Both of these options represent compromises.

Anybody else shoot a Sony 30mm Macro?

Just to point out I have no clue how the lens will do in a dome port. I assume it would be fine as it can focus close, but it's hard to say how much macro effect you would get.

Good luck!

If I went with the 30mm, I would get the proper port for it. If I go for the 50mm, I might have to wait to get the right port and use the dome port until I do.

The world is full of compromises.

If I went with the 30mm, I would get the proper port for it. If I go for the 50mm, I might have to wait to get the right port and use the dome port until I do.

The world is full of compromises.

Hoag,
I use the 30mm for fish portraits. Sharp lens, but not much working distance for macro. Get the port with the focus knob.
Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom