Does Bonne Terre offer night dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be in KC for a few days, does anyone know if Bonne Terre mine offers night dives during the week? If so I'll bring my dive computer and rent the rest...:)

Mike

you can only dive on weekends at that place... as far as night dives, check their site, although you are in a mine, and the lights will be on? :) www.2dive.com I belive.

hope this helps.

p.s. tell them to lower their prices.
p.s.s. tell them you are a local diver, I hear they will drop the rates a bit.

mike_s:
how would a night dive there be different than a day dive? (there is no natural light at all in the mine).

The implication I got from his post is that he will be in the area for a few days (probably on business, etc) and will only be available to dive in the evenings, thus the inquiry regarding night diving.

Or I could be totally wrong. :D

First problem:

KC is nowhere near Bonne Terre. App. 5 or 6 hour drive to the other side of the state. Bonne Terre is about 45 min. south of St. Louis.

They do not offer diving "at night". But they do offer "night dives"--they just turn out all the artificial lights and do the dive by dive lights. There is no natural light that reaches the water in the mine. Haven't done this event there before, but I know that I would enjoy it if I did.

If you are trying to combine some diving with a KC business trip, you may want to try Oronogo's Blue Water Lake. Only a couple hour drive south from KC, near Joplin MO. www.oronogo.com .

theskull

Dived the Bonne Terre mines in 1997. Is "Bones" still there?
I enjoyed the dives, but the DMs were a little annoying at the time.
I think the mines were used for uranium mining. I never found out whether any soluble uranium salts are dissolved in the water or not.

Wonder if the mine glows in the dark on one of those night dives.:D

AlexMDiver:
Dived the Bonne Terre mines in 1997. Is "Bones" still there?
I enjoyed the dives, but the DMs were a little annoying at the time.
I think the mines were used for uranium mining. I never found out whether any soluble uranium salts are dissolved in the water or not.

Wonder if the mine glows in the dark on one of those night dives.:D

I'm sure you're joking, but Bonne Terre was strictly a lead mine. The largest producing lead mine in the world for a century! That's why the tunnel system is so extensive; the mine is much larger than the city which sits on top of it. Some of their DMs are definitely a little annoying, others are wonderful--kinda like most dive operations.

theskull

theskull:
I'm sure you're joking, but Bonne Terre was strictly a lead mine. The largest producing lead mine in the world for a century! That's why the tunnel system is so extensive; the mine is much larger than the city which sits on top of it. Some of their DMs are definitely a little annoying, others are wonderful--kinda like most dive operations.

theskull

Hmmm...ok, so it was lead. Not quite as exciting then.
Good thing Lead sulfide is not soluble...
The mine was great to dive. I liked the ore carts and shovels still lying around.

I am here on Business..so I guess no diving this time.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom