Does crime change your travel plans?

Does crime change your travel plans? (pick one that applies most)

• I haven't given it any thought.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I'll only travel to low crime areas

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • I'll travel to areas known for petty crime

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • I'll travel to areas with increasing violent crime

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I cancelled plans to travel due to increasing crime

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I paid for the trip, I'm going no matter what

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to Mexico 3 times, no problems. I have been to Roatan, during the time when the government was in upheaval from Zalaya being "removed" from office, no problems. I have plans to go to Grand Cayman in November, hopefully the problems they have had recently will be resolved so I can enjoy the island, if not I will stay at or very close to Sunset House. So while I am aware of the problems in these places, there has been no change in my travel plans.

Most of the crime issues I have encountered have all been on U.S. soil.

Miami - Boat stolen, tools stolen, laptop stolen.

New York City - Christmas gifts stolen in broad daylight out of car with thousands of people around.
Bicycle stolen.

California - Motorcycle stolen, 200 music albums stolen.

Washington D.C. - Car broken into (perp had second thoughts after I showed him another use for fishing bats).

Atlanta - attempted home invasion (perp changed his mind thanks to my 45).
Second home invasion was thwarted by Romulus my 110 lbs German Shepherd.

Crimes I've encountered while visiting 3rd world countries - NONE.

FB-Florida Scuba Diver

yet when you go to Mexico.... you drive.... which takes you through border towns? :dontknow:[/QUOTE:
Unless you fly, of course.:wink: I have been to Cozumel numerous times, and have yet to go anywhere near the border except to fly over it.

Crimes I've encountered while visiting 3rd world countries - NONE.

Reminds me of a story some friends of mine told when they came back from Nairobi, Kenya. They were explaining how when they were walking down the street, and a man snatched the wife's bag and tried to run away.

"It was awful, simply awful," the wife was telling me. "The crowd caught him, and they almost beat that poor man to death!".

Reminds me of a story some friends of mine told when they came back from Nairobi, Kenya. They were explaining how when they were walking down the street, and a man snatched the wife's bag and tried to run away.

"It was awful, simply awful," the wife was telling me. "The crowd caught him, and they almost beat that poor man to death!".

The "...to death" part may be extreme but it sure would be nice if we lived in a place where bystanders and onlookers cared enough to intervene when something happened. Sad to say but my impression is that most people in NA would simply look the other way because it was NMP. I'd be happy to be wrong with this impression.

Traveling & dive guiding for ten years with no problems until a couple of months ago on Malapascua.I was held by gun point,extorted $100usd,while thirty locals looked on. You might call it a 'misunderstanding' but I just paid,moved on,and will not be back.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Stay home.

Picture5-2.png

It's really all tied into Darwin and how hot babes are known pick their men.

Stay safe.

Your ex-girlfriend and I... We'll send you a postcard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom