Does DiveAlert work underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanL

Registered
Reaction score
The Hammerhead and SubDuck are made for underwater, but will the Dive Alert, made for signal above water, work underwater?
DiveAlert supposed to be really loud on surface - how about under?
Seems it would be nice to have one multi-purpose signal.

Dive Alert's literature doesn't mention use underwater one way or another. I'm sure it would make some kind of noise, but I doubt if it would be very loud since it relies on surrounding air for the whistle effect. Maybe if you took off your mask and made an air pocket to put the tip in, but I guess that's not very practical.

For what it's worth the sub-duck does outright say that it's not useful above water.

sorta. While certainly not as loud as above water, Dive Alert does make a noticeable sound when submerged. Best way to use it, I noticed, is to fire off a few short blasts in a noticable "unnatural" pattern. Like 3 short blasts in a rapid sequence. If you brief your buddy on what to expect, it'll definitely get their attention. It's certainly much louder than the tank banger, I thought.

Note of caution!! While the sound emitted isn't as loud as on the surface, the membrane inside the dive alert will still cause the water to vibrate quite a bit, so be careful and DON'T fire it off too close to your head. While not eardrum-busting as on the surface, it's still an unpleasant sensation to have your eardrums oscilate that much.

-Roman.

Since I got most of my gear "used" (don't think any of it had actually been wet) along with the fact that I'm a total newbie, I had no idea what it a diver alert was, that is till my best friend fired it off. My ears rang for a half hour. I don't know about under the water yet, but that thing is deafening above water.

to get my dive alert to make some kind of noise under water. All I get are a whole lot of bubbles. The thing will bust an ear drum on the surface though.

I have both the the DiveAlert and the SubDuck on my BCD inflator hose. Both are very good at the particular job they were made for, but not very good for the other. I love the sound of the Duck!

I have both the DiveAlert and MiniHammerhead for above and underwater signaling. I also have an ScubaPro BC w/ AirII. Its kinda bulky having one of these mounted on the lp hose to the AirII.

I was tinkering with the idea of having a dedicated lp hose to mount both of these on. Only concern is how to tie off the final quick-release plug, or iwould it just seal itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom