Question Does higher level shop offer higher teaching quality for OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally speaking, I do not understand why a new diver searching for tuition and certification look for shops..A shop is a place which sells equipment.
Training should be searched elsewhere. I can think that the proper order should be:
1) a diving school, possibly affiliated with no profit organisations such as Cmas or Bsac, or supported by public funds (university, high school, research institution, etc.)
2) a diving club, again affiliated with Cmas, Bsac oor other no-profit agencies
3) a renowned professional instructor, operating under a professional agency such as PADI or NAUI or other "pro" for profit agency.
4) A diving center operating charter boats in touristic locations
5) The training staff and instructors working in the holidays resort where your are lodged.
A shop would be my latest choice, after all these other options are found to be unavailable.

Can't speak for the rest of the world, but those options generally do not exist in the US. There are no recreational diving schools, only commercial, and very few of those. Universities generally no longer offer SCUBA training, and if they do it is probably research, rather than recreational. What dive clubs exist here do not offer training, only coordinate dives. You might be able to hire a private instructor for OW, but they wull have to coordinate gear and pool rentals, by which point they might as well be wirking with a dive shop. As for the last two, that may be viable in Florida, but certainly not in my area.

Around here it is LDS or nothing.

ETA, GUE training is available which is I guess close to a club, but few new divers will have ever heard of them and for someone who does not aspire to tech, it is a bit overkill.

US Lds's do offer quality training if you look hard enough.

Pool time at colleges as well, sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom