Does it bother LDS owners when...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does it bother LDS owners when people who they have been working with (renting gear to, etc.) purchase their gear used from an outside source instead of the LDS? I've seen many people do this; the gal at my LDS is very laid back and kind so I don't think purchasing gear from someone else and bringing it in to her shop for a check up, repair, etc. would bother her. Buy how do you LDS owners feel about this?
The reason I ask is because a buddy of mine and I had an interesting experience a few weeks back. He had purchased a used reg off of eBay, which saved him about $400 total from the MSRP. As usual he brought it in to his LDS to have it overhauled I believe. The guy behind the counter looked annoyed when he mentioned that he "Bought it used to save a few bucks." He's been going to this same guy for 3+ years now.

Apparently. I was called a dive traitor for not diving in australian waters even though I was buying gear in the shop..ive bought all my gear here but apparently do not contribute to the Aus diving economy enough. My apologies. :D

I think they need to be realistic. They can offer service related to the purchase that is not available online, such as trying it, adjusting it, getting adivice about selecting it. Being unpleasant to customers is no long-term business plan.

But be fair. Don't use the shop to get advice and find the right size, then buy the item elsewhere. Also be ready to spend a little extra if you want to make sure the option of buying locally will still be there in a year or 2.

Dear LDS: $ervice is spending through your shop. If that is not enough for you, I'll kindly find someone else to give my money to..... with that, you loose both ways.....

Agreed - BUT - the same guy who saved $400 on regulators buying them used/online is the same guy who will balk at the $70 overhaul fee. He'll complain that the kit costs the LDS 12 bucks but they sell it for $25, and that the labor rate is $100/hr., because the technician certainly isn't making that much....

Agreed with everyone here, I'm glad I'm glad to hear that this is normal practice.

Wookie, he was charged a fairly high price (fair non the less). He gladly paid it and even mentioned that it was a "darn good price!"
1 octo, 1 1st stage, and a primary. They charged him a bit more than the LDS I usually go to and I jokingly mentioned it to him but he laughed it off and said, "He's been helping me since day 1 of my diving career."

Agreed - BUT - the same guy who saved $400 on regulators buying them used/online is the same guy who will balk at the $70 overhaul fee. He'll complain that the kit costs the LDS 12 bucks but they sell it for $25, and that the labor rate is $100/hr., because the technician certainly isn't making that much....

some will, some won't. I haven't bought a single new (high dollar) item from the LDS I am currently buying through (oops, lie - I bought two tanks, just don't tell my wife). But, I'll drop off 12 tanks, pay $20 each for vips yearly, will also do my hydros through them (they actually do them in house), I'll buy air fills, and pay high prices for O2 cleans on tanks & valves I bring in because they do PP Blending. They will get my equipment service when it is in need, and I have taken classes and booked trips through them. Does it make me a bad guy to not have bought my regs from them (e-bay), my BP/W (internet as they don't carry them), long hoses (they don't sell them), SMB, spools, reels (again, don't have them)????

But be fair. Don't use the shop to get advice and find the right size, then buy the item elsewhere. Also be ready to spend a little extra if you want to make sure the option of buying locally will still be there in a year or 2.

we rented various BCD's, for a week at the time, from the local shop to try but i could not justify paying the LDS double for the same BCD...is that unfair?

we did buy other stuff from the LDS including booties and the wetsuits

Some dive shops are funny that way. they really see the buyer's $400 savings as their $400 loss. One thing you may be able to do is give them a fair shot at the deal. But, be prepared for the shop that gets even stranger when you don't take their deal.

It is a little crazy. Can you imagine a car dealership behaving like that? Like refusing service for a car that you did not buy from them.

For what it's worth, everything I've tried to buy (big ticket item) at the various LDSs in my area--they didn't carry. I can't even get a simple pair of neoprene gloves in my size--they have to be ordered since the smallest I can find seem to be large. I tried to buy a parka here and all they had were XL and XXL... I would wear probably a medium. I might buy a large too, but an extra large just swims on me.

So I gave up and called a DS in California that I know. I figured, if I have to order this stuff and have it shipped, I might as well support someone I know instead of just ordering it online from a random company that I don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom