does it make sense to dive trimix in single tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

its also not too narcotic which may not always be an advantage.

This one really got me scratching my head, huh?

Your tissues reach saturation faster, but you also take on LESS of it compared to nitrogen, so the deco thing is pretty much mute. Some algorithms 'punish' you for diving helium, while others don't. Which is right?

There are reports that are highly questionable that say that the effects of inert gas narcosis help to stave off oxygen toxicity. The problems here are obvious.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2012 at 07:14 PM ----------

I'll also add that there is some data to suggest that nitrogen is a bigger player in DCS than helium is. Gas percentages in bubbles are have more nitrogen that what would be expected from the breathing gas used. Something to ponder...

This one really got me scratching my head, huh?

its dark,the viz is ****e,the water is cold and your not quite sure where you are.

a little bit of the narkies goes a long way.

chill.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 12:20 AM ----------

Your tissues reach saturation faster, but you also take on LESS of it compared to nitrogen, so the deco thing is pretty much mute. Some algorithms 'punish' you for diving helium, while others don't. Which is right?

There are reports that are highly questionable that say that the effects of inert gas narcosis help to stave off oxygen toxicity. The problems here are obvious.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2012 at 07:14 PM ----------

I'll also add that there is some data to suggest that nitrogen is a bigger player in DCS than helium is. Gas percentages in bubbles are have more nitrogen that what would be expected from the breathing gas used. Something to ponder...

you cant take on less he than n2.

the molecule is about 9 times smaller and there is only 1 not 2.

its got something to do with maffs and fisics.

its dark,the viz is ****e,the water is cold and your not quite sure where you are.

a little bit of the narkies goes a long way.

chill...

Bring a light, choose adequate exposure suit and... well, add some helium to your mix, perhaps it will help you not get lost, lol.

Having just done Ginnie Springs on 30/30 for the first time, I can enthusiastically and with complete conviction report that, for me, the answer is YES. Not only do I remember more than a vague, dark gestalt of the cave, but I came out for the very first time ever without a pounding, horrible headache and nausea. It was a totally different dive.

I don't dive trimix yet so please excuse my question, but what was it that was giving you headaches and what changed when you dove it with helium in the mix?

Bring a light, choose adequate exposure suit and... well, add some helium to your mix, perhaps it will help you not get lost, lol.

great tip.

200ft underwater and you want me to feel sober.

nah....

I don't dive trimix yet so please excuse my question, but what was it that was giving you headaches and what changed when you dove it with helium in the mix?

Helium is easier to breath since its a lighter gas than air or 32% nitrox. This facilitates the removal of CO2, which can cause headaches (and other problems) when it builds up in your body during periods of exertion.

It does have something to do with maffs and fizziks. Its about solubility. Helium is less soluble than nitrogen. Like that whole lipid solubility thingie that makes helium less narcotic than nitrogen.

Heres some siense.

Intravascular bubble composition in guinea pigs: a possible explanation for differences in decompression risk among different gases

---------- Post added May 15th, 2012 at 07:26 PM ----------

Here's some more science, even with pictures

Solubility of Gases in Water

some bed time reading=thanks.

if helium is 18 times less soluble than nitrogen i will owe you a beer.

otherwise you will owe me one- and non of that american crap either.

...guinea pigs were compressed to depths ranging from 250 to 350 fsw with air...

These guinea pig divers.... what a strokes :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom