Does more loaded nitrogen equal higher risk of DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba J7

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The title says it for the most part, to add some context: In another thread thats way too long, the question came up about nitrogen in our bodies and DCS. Does more nitrogen in body tissues even in small amounts (eg moving up just one PG on tables) equate to a higher risk in DCS?

To be clear I stated that yes it does.

Last edited:
YES

I'm just trying to shut someone up on another thread providing misinformation, but they are loud and the loudest is the one that gets heard.

Last edited:
Or is the answer depth dependent? That is, does it matter how that N2 load is distributed over the tissue compartments. Consider a PG E diver at 40 ft and that same PG E diver at 130 ft.

Or is the answer depth dependent? That is, does it matter how that N2 load is distributed over the tissue compartments. Consider a PG E diver at 40 ft and that same PG E diver at 130 ft.

That's very astute. Computers use the leading compartment as the indicator of "nitrogen loading" for purposes of allowing us to avoid DCS. Compartments are theoretical constructs intended to account for different types of body tissue.

Assuming the original question is really "Does more nitrogen in the leading compartment or equivalent tissue equate to a higher risk in DCS" I would have to say yes, that's what science tells us.

It's an oversimplification, but as I understand it, DCS risk is proportional to overpressure, that is, the amount of supersaturation of the leading tissue component. Overpressure comes from reducing ambient pressure (i.e. ascending) faster than the lungs can clear N2 safely.

So you could have massive N2 loading (as in a commercial sat diver) but avoid DCS risk by controlling overpressure (a long, slow ascent in a decompression chamberr). On the other hand, you could have a lot less N2 loading (a dive with a deco obligation) and have a greater DCS risk if you blow off a stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom