Does my new drysuit fit me? Have Pics....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neonstingray

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I posted another thread a little while ago asking if anyone had heard of Monetery Bay drysuits, since I saw a good deal for one on ebay. It arrived today, but I think it might be too big. It was custom made, and the description said it would fit someone between 5'10 and 6'0. I'm 5'10.5. While I have it on though it gets bunched up, and I can't fully extend the legs between the boots and the crotch zip. Also, it feels like the armpits are pressing up into my slightly.

Anyway, I took some pics so you could decide. The zipper needs some wax though, so my girlfriend wasn't able to zip it up. Sorry if that makes judging the size harder. Btw, since I'm so thin the neoprene wrist seals don't really seal snug around my wrists. How big of a problem is that?

Please excuse the hair. Squeezing my head through that opening doesn't do wonders for it.

DSC01187.JPG

DSC01186.JPG

DSC011841.JPG

Thanks for any help,
Austin

Doesn't look right to me, I question your range of movement in the suit.

Loose neoprene fittings will mean you have a very expensive wetsuit.

Looks kind of long in the legs, You could shorten it see Oxy Hacker diy book how too guide.
but the suit has a neoprene neck and wrist seals? the neck seal gets folded in or rolled in a min of 1" to 2 - 2 1/2" rolled in,I am not sure if you can roll the wrist seal's but may to snug them up, A crotch zip great way to PEE!
Do you have room for some sort of underwear?-tech fabric but no cotton! you can layer it if you need more warmth.
If its a bit long you could do,but if its tight zipped back on e-bay it goes,the zip works with you not in suit,or is the zip shot=junk? it should move with or with out wax-use a white candle on zip or paraffin wax.
dose the zip have thread or like shredded area along the rubber seal area you may need to singe it,see oxy hacker guide for dry suit repairs and service.
Good luck,
Brad

The only thing I would worry about is the too-long legs. If they are too long, the boots can float off your feet underwater, leaving you with worthless, floppy, empty boots with fins on them. Especially if you descend head first and the air goes into them. Yes, that almost happened to me once.

Although fin keepers can solve the float-off boot problem . . . they're a great invention.

If this were a bag suit (like a tls350) with seperate boots I would say it looks like a decent fit. My bag suit is a stock size and the legs are too long but because it is a bag suit I can easily fold extra fabric over my rock boots that won't pop off. All that said, it isn't a bag suit.

Can you bend down? Can you lift your arms up over your head? Do you have full range of movement? What kind of undies will you use? Thick or light? Keep in mind that when you are diving it will be a bit tighter especially if you allow a bit more squeeze.

After a second look.....I think it actually looks like it may fit too tightly on the top once you add undies. Add undies and purge the suit of air and it may look and feel even tighter. You do need some room to move.

The reality is that we can't really be the judge of this. In the first photo it looks like a great fit and in the others it looks a tad big. Dive it and see for yourself. Good luck and congrats on your new purchase! I hope it works out.

As for the wrist seals being too big, that is a MAJOR issue.

Looks a bit big for sure, but good suggestions already to try it in a pool. The neoprene wrist seals will be turned under about 1", same as the neck seal. If they leak, there is a way to snug them up (a well placed v-notch). Good luck!

shoot, i was just gonna whistle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom