Does Nitrox make you feel better? (split from Nitrox on OW course)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the intricacies of placebo, and placebo-controlled double-blind crossover studies with a priori determined p < .05 significance notwithstanding, I feel better with after nitrox. Just my opinion.

Interesting how so many people on here get so passionate that they are right.

I'm not saying that I'm right or wrong but I can't tell the difference in how I feel after a dive made on air or nitrox but I know some people swear that they do.

All I can say is that if you feel better, buy it. If it made me feel better, I would. If my day of diving is going to be effected by nitrogen loading, I do buy it. If I'm going to do a couple of shallow dives and nitrogen isn't an issue, I'll breathe air.

My $.02

I know I felt worse on Nitrox once. Started having twitching facial muscles at depth. Scared the crap outta me.

Interesting how so many people on here get so passionate that they are right.

I'm not saying that I'm right or wrong but I can't tell the difference in how I feel after a dive made on air or nitrox but I know some people swear that they do.

All I can say is that if you feel better, buy it. If it made me feel better, I would. If my day of diving is going to be effected by nitrogen loading, I do buy it. If I'm going to do a couple of shallow dives and nitrogen isn't an issue, I'll breathe air.

My $.02
I would start to worry if people wherent passionate about them being right about how THEY feel.
People can tell me all day that "youll feel better diving nitrox" but Ill still tell them BS, cause I just dont..
The instructor I had in my nitrox class does. I dont care if its placebo or just him responding different to the nitrogen/scuba thing or not, but good for him too bad for me..

I know I felt worse on Nitrox once. Started having twitching facial muscles at depth. Scared the crap outta me.
It should as thats one of several symptoms of oxtox..

EDIT: Not litterarilly of course, panicing is never a good thing :p

I don't feel any different diving air or nitrox (29%-36%). I figure if someone thinks it makes them feel less tired, it doesn't matter if it's "real" or "placebo", they're entitled to their opinion as much as I am. And if it works for them, cool!

The thing that bugs me is when people declare that "nitrox WILL make you feel less tired", as if it's a proven fact. The only "evidence" is anectodal, not factual (so really not "evidence" at all), thus the appropriate statement is that "nitrox MAY make you feel less tired."

OK, we can argue FEELING better all day long to no end.

What one should be acknowledging is that rich air mixes slow nitrogen buildup, and that is a good thing! We can all acknowledge that too much nitrogen buildup can result in massive problems. So, less is better. Nitrox slows nitrogen buildup, and that is a good thing.

If some feel better after breathing higher concentrations of O2, well they are not alone in the world. Living at 9000', I see the impact of thin air on folks who are not acclimated to less O2. Working in Denver, it's a common site to see folks running around with O2 bottles. More so than in other cities I have lived at low elevation.

So argue the feeling impact all you like to no end, but the reality is that higher levels of O2 is beneficial

Enriched air extends no decompression limits... that, I hope, we can all agree on. Basic hyperbaric physics and physiology can readily and confidently explain this very specific benefit from using Nitox.

Reducing fatigue, feeling better, etc... those are harder to prove (or disprove)

Somebody, someday, somewhere will study this by using a large sampled, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, multi-centred, easily replicated and objectively designed robust scientific experiment.

Until then, people can only debate the issue with their feelings and anecdotes. The ongoing debate in this thread is not about the benefits of Nitox, but rather about what people felt after using Nitrox which is completely immeasurable and subjective. Nobody is in a position to confirm or deny what another person feels, and that makes the entire debate futile.

On the other hand, after the aforementioned research is performed, peer reviewed, and published, I have a suspicion the debate will rage on further still. After all, I know a guy who smoked two packs a day since he was 14 and lived to be 90, so you can't prove to me that smoking is bad.

Note: post should be read with tongue firmly planted in cheek... but perhaps there's an element of reason to it.:idk:

It should as thats one of several symptoms of oxtox..

Yes, that was the point of my post.

I would start to worry if people wherent passionate about them being right about how THEY feel.
People can tell me all day that "youll feel better diving nitrox" but Ill still tell them BS, cause I just dont..
The instructor I had in my nitrox class does. I dont care if its placebo or just him responding different to the nitrogen/scuba thing or not, but good for him too bad for me..

I don't disagree with you and passion about doing what it best for you is improtant.

I'm just saying don't say that there is more than one way to do something and not be wrong. I like Chevrolets, my friend like Fords will either of us change, probably not. We can debate which is better all day and give reasons but neither of us ridicules the other and says that they are just plain wrong.

My nitrox instructor also said that nitrox made him feel better after a dive. I respect him to no limit but it doesn't have that effect on me. Are either of us wrong? I don't think so. I smoke (flame suit on) and he doesn't, maybe that's the difference. Maybe it's different physiology of our bodies. I don't know.

Give me credit, I DID say that if it had that effect on me, I would dive it on every dive. It doesn't, so I don't dive it unless nitrogen is an issue. If I'm going to do 3 or 4 dives or a couple of deep dives (90'-100' in the local quarry) in one day, I'll have EAN matched to my depth in my cylinder/cylinders.

Back
Top Bottom