Does Scubapro Everflex wetsuit use Yamamoto neoprene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I search about freediving suit and spearfishing suit. It seems that Elios and Polosub are big brands in their communities. I am not sure weather those brands for spearfishing are good for scuba diving becauase, for scuba, diver will be underwater longer and deeper than spearfishing. Any comment would be appreciated. Thanks,

Full disclosure, I live in SE Asia. The water temps range from 18° (at the cold end) to 28°C. I use an Elios two piece wet suit with hood for most of my diving. If the water is below about 24°C, I have a one piece wetsuit with a hoody. The suits use high quality neoprene, with choices of outside and inside fabric, and a custom fit. These factors help contribute to a warm and super comfortable exposure suit. best wishes..

I search about freediving suit and spearfishing suit. It seems that Elios and Polosub are big brands in their communities. I am not sure weather those brands for spearfishing are good for scuba diving becauase, for scuba, diver will be underwater longer and deeper than spearfishing. Any comment would be appreciated. Thanks,

I've heard the claim repeated many times that freedive suits shouldn't be used for scuba because they will get too compressed - compared to a regular scuba suit. I have a lot of experience freediving and scuba diving with quality freedive suits. I have not noted any problem or issue with using freedive suits - even when scuba diving to around 180 ft.

Elios is a very good wetsuit manufacturer. they provide stock and custom wetsuits and they offer a huge variety of different types of rubber, soft and medium density rubbers etc. More dense rubber will stretch less, be less comfortable, but will compress less at depth. I have owned a custom elios suit and have many friends who have bought good suits from them. If I needed a custom suit, I would be buying from them.

Polosub, I am less familiar with, but it is my impression they make some expensive and high quality freedive suits.

I was one that believed that freedive suits were too soft and would get ruined by scuba diving too deep. Now I almost exclusively dive freedive suits for scuba because I dislike drysuits, and because I found out by my own experimentation that yamamoto freedive suits are the best wetsuits available, and the crushing/ruining thing is by in large a lot of nonsense.
There are several brands that use Yamamoto neoprene but you must do your homework to know which ones.
There are also Yamamoto clones that are made in China, and it's not the same.
Japanese Yamamoto is currently the best in the world. Many if not most off the rack scuba diving suits these days are made of some sort of Chinese blend, and most of those suits are junk.
The best are the freedive suits that make it known they are made from genuine Yamamoto neoprene. Freedive suits are cut a certain way to fit the best plus they usually have no zippers so they don't leak cold water in places that make you cold. With attached hoods, beaver tail cut, and the formed body fit they are the best design combo for warmth and fit.
I have never run across an off the rack scuba suit that claimed to be made from 100% genuine Yamamoto neoprene, FWIW.

Last edited:
Many of the high-quality freedive wetsuits, one can choose thickness (1mm to 10mm), with choices from only rubber to special interior and exterior lining, as well as different levels of neoprene density from high to low compression resistance. For scuba diving, you might choose medium density, rather than a super soft material. During my discussion with Elios, I had a choice of Heiwa, Yanamoto, or Daiwabo neoprene, each with choices of thickness, density, and linings. Eric is on the mark, high quality freedive suits rock

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom